A deputy must be a fervent defender of needs and a great recipient of the diatribes that afflict the person he represents, in order to rule on the legal grounds to accuse whoever deserves to be punished by law.
They also have the task of approving large-scale projects in the different problems to be solved in the country. Below we will present the Requirements to be a deputyso that you know what are the powers and obligations of those who represent you.
Requirements to be a representative in Argentina
According to the article of the Argentine Constitution in force today, in the article 48 pray that:
«To serve as a deputy, the following conditions are requested: to be over 35 years of age, to be resident for at least 4 years as a practicing citizen and to be a native of the sector that chooses, or to complete at least 2 years of residence as soon as possible.»
Steps to be a representative in Argentina
In order to belong to the Chamber of Deputies, every 4 years the provincial or capital government holds elections for the positions of deputy.
Which has an interesting methodology since those who have already served their respective 4 years in office are replaced with new members. These same must be candidates directly elected by the people of the provinces to which they apply, from the city of Buenos Aires and from the capital in case of transfer.
By law, those characters who obtain a minimum number of votes that reflect 3% of the electoral roll of the district for which it will be launched have the possibility of entering the Lower Chamber of Deputies.
As an example of this procedure, we could put that in order to obtain a position out of the 35 available for the bank in the province of Buenos Aires, it is necessary to obtain, first of all, a floor of at least 30,100 votes, with 10,055,916 people forming the register. .
According to Article 45 of the Argentine constitution, there will be one deputy for every 33,000 inhabitants or fraction that does not fall below 16,500.
Function of the deputies
Article 53 of the Argentine Constitution (on the Chamber of Deputies):
“Only she exercises the right to accuse before the Senate the president, vice president, the chief of the cabinet of ministers, the ministers and the members of the Supreme Court, in the cases of responsibility that are tried against them, for bad performance or for crime in the exercise of their functions; or for common crimes, after having learned of them and declared that there was room for the formation of cause by a majority of two thirds of its members present.”
Said chamber practices its functions through the debate and penalty of laws that always have in distinction and goal the common good of all citizens, based on this they can alter the laws that exist today.
For its part, those who regulate the actions of the Chamber is the Constitution itself, which determines the powers of Congress, the issues on which they can and should debate, as well as the limitations they should have.
Within its functions, it also establishes the relationship of the different powers that make up democracy, which is a priority for the validity of the democratic system. The intervention of the Chamber and the president and his ministers in the implementation and sanction of the laws is a demonstration of it.
Specific powers of each chamber
According to what is stated in the Constitution, the following are direct merits of the Chamber of Deputies:
- Accept the bills presented by popular initiative.
- Initiate the public council process for a bill.
- Start the laws on contributions and recruitment of the ranks of the country.
- Impute before the Chamber of Senators, in political opinion, the members of the Executive Branch of the country, including members of the Senate.
How are deputies chosen?
A deputy is elected by means of a universal, secret and obligatory vote by the inhabitant of each province, which will have a representative in the Chamber of Deputies for every 33,000 people.
National Electoral Code:
- Article 158: The national deputies will be selected directly by the Nation, from each state and from the Federal Capital that will be considered for this purpose as electoral districts. Each voter will only pay for a list of verified candidates whose number will be equal to the number of available positions, plus the substitutes provided for in article 163.
- Article 159: The recount of each election will be carried out by list without taking into account the strikeouts or reliefs that the voter made.
- Article 160. The lists that do not achieve a minimum of three percent (3%) of the electoral roll of the district will not participate in the assignment of positions.
- Article 161. The positions to be held will be granted in the order established by each of the lists and subject to the following procedure:
The sum of the votes obtained by each list that has reached at least three percent (3%) of the electoral roll of the district will be divided by one (1), by two (2), by three (3) and so on. until reaching the total number of available positions. The resulting quotients, regardless of the lists they come from, will be ordered from highest to lowest in number equal to the number of positions to be covered. In the event that there are two or more equal fractions, it will order them in direct relation to the total number of existing votes for the respective lists and if they were achieved the same number of votes, the ordering will result from a lottery that for this purpose must be carried out by the competent Electoral Board.As many positions are assigned to each list as times their fractions appear in the indicated ordering.
- Article 162. National deputies would be proclaimed to those who are elected in accordance with the system adopted in this chapter.
- Article 163. In the convocations of each electoral district, the number of national deputies, holders and substitutes will be established. For these purposes, the number of alternates will be established as stated below:
At the time that 2 holders are chosen: two substitutes correspond.
- If it is the case that 3 to 5 starters are provided: 3 substitutes will be provided.
- When 6 and 7 starters are chosen: 4 substitutes.
- For the election of 8 holders: there must be 5 substitutes.
- When the result is 9 and 10 starters: there will be 6 substitutes.
- When 11 to 20 starters are chosen: 8 substitutes.
- When 21 starters or more are chosen: 10 substitutes.
How is the Chamber of Deputies composed?
The Chamber of Deputies is made up of 257 deputies, whose halves are renewed every two years, their functions begin on December 10 and end two years later, on the same date.
The current composition of the Chamber of Deputies for the period 2017/2021 are:
(President: Mario Negri)
|Radical Civic Union
|ARI Civic Coalition
|Civic and Social Front of Catamarca
|Eduardo Brizuela del Moral
|Party for Social Justice
|Jump We Are All
|Front for Victory-PJ
(President: Agustin Rossi)
|Front for Victory-PJ
|Juan Manuel Pereyra
(President: Pablo Kosiner)
|Missionary Concord Front
|Jorge Daniel Franco
|Justicialist for Tucumán
|Pablo Raúl Yedlin
|San Juan Blocist Party
|Graciela Maria Caselles
|All together for San Juan
|Walberto Enrique Allende
|we are saint john
|Maria Florencia Peñaloza Marianetti
|UNA Renewal Front
(President: Graciela Camaño)
|Federal United for a New Argentina
|Cordoba Work and Production
|Adriana Monica Nazario
|Work and Dignity
|Rosa Rosario Munoz
|Network for Argentina
(President: Felipe Solá)
|Network for Argentina
|Culture, Education and Work
|Civic Front for Santiago
|Nicholas del Caño
|I choose Catamarca
|Gustavo Arturo Saadi
|Jose Luis Ramon
|Civic and Social Progressive Front
|Left and Workers Front
|romina del pla
|Neuquén Popular Movement
|Alma “Chani” Sapag
|New Space in Santa Fe
|we are Mendoza
How long is the mandate of a deputy?
The mandate of a deputy according to the constitution is 4 years, with the possibility of being reelected.
Who do the deputies represent?
The deputies legally represent the inhabitants of the provinces to which they belong and are legally committed to ensuring their welfare.
Being a deputy is a legal position directly committed to the people who represent them, who are the inhabitants of the entire country, legislate based on improving the quality of life and improve the laws for the proper functioning of the democratic system imparted in the country, we hope that the Requirements to be a deputy have inspired you to be one.
Related articles that may interest you