The marriage certificate It is an important document for Costa Rican citizens. This is because once two individuals enter into a nuptial agreement, it is their responsibility to maintain the commitment to themselves and to society.
In addition, they must comply with the laws established according to the Republic of Costa Rica. In this way, it is of the utmost interest that both spouses have the necessary knowledge on how to obtain the marriage certificate and all the relevant information about the procedure. For this reason, if you want to find out about it, We invite you to read this article!
Requirements to request the Marriage certificate
Before mentioning the necessary requirements, we will make it clear that the documents requested for the marriage certificate they are very basic. In this way, the requirements to request the marriage certificate are as follows:
- Application form filled with the established regulations.
- Personal data of both applicant spouses.
- These personal data must include: names and surnames, dates of birth. Identity document numbers of both Costa Rican spouses.
- Also, tax stamps and national file which must be found together with the form.
- Once the applicants are making the withdrawal of the certificate, they must present the numerical tag that is given to them just at the time of processing the application.
How to request the Marriage certificate?
To begin with, it is important to mention that the certificate request of marriage it’s pretty straightforward. However, the procedure will depend on the application method you want to use. For example, it can be done in person or online, that is, through an online system through a website.
If you have no idea how to process the request, do not worry!, below we will mention how to perform the marriage certificate application Step by Step. Just keep reading!
- First, you must go to the Civil Registry office that is closest to your locality.
- Consecutively, you must inform the trained personnel of the procedure you wish to manage.
- Once you have mentioned which procedure you want to manage, the trained staff will deliver a request form or ticket corresponding to the procedure.
- Then, the applicant must complete all the information provided in the previous item.
- The applicant must also enter the corresponding stamps.
- The next step is to consign the necessary documentation to the official who was in charge of providing the service.
- Wait for the worker to process the information entered and to deliver the numerical tag.
- Finally, the last step is for the applicant to proceed to withdraw his marriage certificate.
Clearly applying through an online system is an up-to-date and innovative procedure. Indeed, it was created with the purpose of optimizing and facilitating the process of the procedure for Costa Rican citizens. It is for this reason that the Supreme Court of Elections, enabled an option so that from the main website of the court, you can manage the marriage certificate.
Although it is true, one of the great advantages of presenting the certificate through the TSE website is that the procedure is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. That is, you can make the request whenever you want, at the time you want. However, the applicant must still pay the cost corresponding to the procedure.
Now, the steps to follow to make the request are the following:
- First, enter the Web page official of the Supreme Electoral Tribunal of Costa Rica.
- Select the option «Digital Certificates».
- Click on the type of certificate you want to obtain. Of course, in this case we are talking about marriage certificate.
- Enter the data of the people to be certified, together with the security code and expiration date of the card.
- Then enter your email address. They will send the certificate there.
- Finally, the system will process the request. Consecutively, it will be sent to the email.
- Once you obtain the certificate electronically, you must download it and then print it.
Where to request it?
As mentioned above, the marriage certificate It can be requested in two different ways, either in person or through an online system. However, the entity in charge of submitting the document, in addition to the Civil Registry, is the Supreme Court of Elections (TSE) from Costa Rica.
If the requesting spouse wishes to go to the TSE office, they must take into account that it is governed by a business schedule from Monday to Friday from 7:00 in the morning until 3:00 in the afternoon. Similarly, if you need advice regarding the process, you can call the toll-free line 800-800-2000 to make inquiries about civil procedures, appointments, registrations and certifications.
On the other hand, it is important to mention that the term of issuance of the marriage certificate consists of three (3) business days. For more information, you can call the telephone number found in the paragraph above or, failing that, you can go directly to the TSE headquarters that is most convenient for you.
Although it is true, there are different types of procedures, therefore, some have a certain cost and others do not. With respect to costs of the marriage certificate in Costa Rica, It is important to mention that, if the spouses make the application in person, it will have a cost of ₡ 1,575 colones Costa Ricans.
On the other hand, the Supreme Electoral Tribunal is affiliated with National Banks, among them: Central Bank of Costa Rica. In this way, certificate costs must be paid by credit cards.
Supreme Court of Elections
It is known as the supreme electoral body belonging to the Republic of Costa Rica. Its foundation dates from 1949, thus, the court is the highest constitutional body in electoral matters. Therefore, it is responsible for the monitoring and organization of acts related to suffrage.
National Registry of Costa Rica
It is known as the body attached to the Ministry of Justice and Peace of Costa Rica. It is in charge of organizing, monitoring and protecting the registration activity carried out within the territory of the Republic of Costa Rica. Its foundation was carried out in 1969, however, they made a modification in 1975 and it is currently known by its current name National Registry of Costa Rica.
Digital Certificates offered by the National Registry of Costa Rica
Over the years, technology continues to evolve without stopping and we individuals are part of that evolutionary process. Surely you ask yourself … What does technology have to do with it? Well, with the help of technology we can perform certain tasks more easily.
For example, currently it is not necessary to carry out procedures in person since technology has allowed us to carry out the same procedure from the comfort of our home through a web portal on the internet. In this way, the Civil Registry or the Supreme Electoral Court enabled the online certificate request tool.
Thanks to this, they are called digital certificates. Among them, we find the following procedures:
- Certificate validation.
- Certification of copies of civil documents available in the Civil Registry of Costa Rica.
- It allows the certification of copies of civil documents in process, among them: Sections of registration, option of naturalizations and legal acts.
- Allows registration cedular.
- Issuance of certificates of civil status. Applies for foreigners.
- Issuance of civil status certification for foreigners and Costa Rican citizens.
- Issuance of certifications requested through the web portal.
What is the Marriage Certificate?
On the other hand, marriage is defined under the concept of «union of two people through legal formalities.» In this way, we already understand why the marriage certificate it is so important once two people agree to marry.
Now the marriage certificate It is a legal document issued by the Civil Registry that attests to the marriage act between two individuals. Among its other main objectives, is to collect relevant information about the marriage such as: place, date and time at the time it occurs.
In fact, it is used to guarantee the marriage bond between both spouses. On the contrary, on certain occasions they will require evidential documents of your married civil status for the management of other types of procedures.
For this reason, it is convenient that the certificate be requested as soon as possible, after having celebrated the marriage. An ideal period for this may be a maximum of five (5) business days after the marriage.
Finally, if you recently got married and have not yet applied for your marriage certificate, We invite you to make your request!Remember that the sooner the better. We also hope that our article has provided you with the information you needed.
Thanks for reading! Good luck with the request for marriage certificate in Costa Rica.
Visit GESTIONALO.NET Costa Rica
Related articles that may interest you