You probably want to know the Requirements for Italian citizenship if what you want is to carry out this procedure. Perhaps your spouse, parents or grandparents are Italian by birth and want to acquire citizenship, or perhaps you want to acquire it by residency. Be that as it may, we will explain what they are.
Italy It is a beautiful country full of culture and unique historical spaces. Rich in gastronomy, art and with an incredible economy, this country is one of the most visited in the world.
There is not a person who does not know about Italy and its people. To tell the truth, it is the third country that receives the most tourists each year.
However, it also offers a lot of opportunities that will make you want to stay not only knowing the country. but also living there. For this and much more, thousands of people every year look for a way to acquire Italian citizenship, to be able to travel as they wish in this colorful country.
Next, We will talk to you about the requirements and documents that you will have to present, in addition to the benefits that you will obtain and the procedure that you will have to carry out to obtain your Italian citizenship.
Requirements for Italian citizenship
The Requirements for Italian citizenship They are essential when requesting it. Likewise, it is important to make the distinction between nationality and citizenship. They are not the same far from it, because one is acquired at birth in the country and the second is not obtained until the age of majority, through the laws of the country where you were born or those of the country of your ancestors (mother, father, Grandfather Grandmother).
Now yes, let’s see what are the requirements that you must have up to date, and then move on to the necessary documents.
- Research the ways in which you can acquire citizenship, whether you have a relative, wish to acquire it by residency, or your spouse has nationality. This will make the process a lot easier, you can know where to look exactly.
- Fill out your family tree. This is mandatory and you can see it here. Print it out and fill it out.
- Have enough time to go to scheduled appointments with the consulate of your country, and if you want to live in the country, time to learn the language.
- Have all the documents in force and duly filled out, ordered and legible to avoid delaying the process of acquiring citizenship.
- Sufficient income. This is not a requirement, but it is important if you plan to emigrate to Italy. Also, some steps in the process of acquiring citizenship come at a cost.
- Read the full article! This way you will know the documents that you will need in general lines, and the requirements in case you want to acquire your nationality by grandfather grandmother, by mother or father.
In general, the documents that you will need to acquire your citizenship are:
- Original birth certificate. If this is the case, that the relationship with the national is reflected.
- From your ancestors:
- Marriage certificate, either from the grandfather, grandmother, mother or father.
- Marriage certificate of the interested party.
- Electoral chamber certificate.
- DNI, original.
- Language skills, with a B1 certificate or higher.
Of course there are many others, but we will specify those below, when we talk about the cases that you can attend.
Remember that the Law that protects these rights in Law No. 91 of 1992, where it is clearly stated that all descendants of Italian people up to the second degree possess citizenship by right.
This includes the children of strangers found within the country, with no other citizenship. Adopted children can also acquire it, as well as residents after a certain time.
By Grandfather or Grandmother
In the event that your grandfather or grandmother has Italian nationality, then you can apply for citizenship by carrying:
- Birth certificate, either from your grandfather or your grandmother.
- Marriage certificate, of the Italian relative.
- Death certificate, in such case.
- Electoral Chamber Certificate.
- Birth certificate and your mom or dad’s marriage.
- Death certificate, in such case.
- Your birth certificate.
- Marriage certificate, if you are married.
- Birth certificate of any offspring you have.
By Mother or Father
If your mother or father has the nationality, the documents that you must provide are:
- Birth certificate of the person who has the nationality. In the case of being both, that of both.
- Marriage certificate of the mother or father.
- In this case, death certificate, or Valid DNI.
- Original electoral chamber certificate, of non-naturalization, that is, to see if the Italian ancestor has acquired Argentine citizenship.
- Your birth and marriage certificate. The latter is only if it is the case-
- Birth certificate of the children.
- Live in residence, for a minimum of 6 months, in the territory corresponding to the consulate. This with parents registered in the Anagrafe of the Consulate of Buenos Aires.
- If this is the case, adoption or divorce decree.
Some documents, as you can imagine, are not necessary. For example, if you have not been married, you will not need the certificate; the same with the death certificate.
In addition, it is important to take into account that children born to mothers before 1948 are those who have the right to nationality. If you were born later, then you will need to start a legal process in Italy, with legal assistance.
If you are married to a person with Italian nationality, you can acquire citizenship through the Application for Naturalization by Marriage or Civil Union. You only have to present the following requirements:
- Residence in the territory assigned to a consular office.
- Evidence of civil union or marital relationship.
- At least 3 years of coexistence since this union was decreed, in the case of living in Argentina. If you reside in Italy, it is after two years. If there are children, whether natural or adopted, then they remain in one year and a half and only one year in their respective cases.
- Birth certificate, in Italian, and duly apostilled.
- Criminal record certificate from Argentina.
- Cost payment per request.
- Permit to stay.
- Language skills, with a level B1 or higher.
Click on the Ministero dell’Interno to fill out your application. For this situation, the waiting period, verification of the information, is 48 months, or what is the same: 4 years. Also, from this year the cost of the application increased to 300 euros.
Italian Citizenship By Residence
Finally, you can opt for citizenship through the naturalization. This is possible after having resided for a certain time in Italy, and it depends on your place of origin:
- For citizens who are not members of the European Union, 10 years of legal residence in Italy are required.
- As we said, descendants of Italian citizens born in Italy or abroad, between 2-3 years of residence are necessary.
- At least 5 years of service in another country, but working for the state.
- For members of the European Union, 4 years of residence in Italy are necessary.
- For adults who were adopted by Italians, political refugees, children of naturalized Italian parents and stateless persons need 5 years of residence.
With some requirements such as:
- Birth certificate.
- Criminal record.
- Documents proving your time of residence in the country.
How is the procedure?
Basically the first thing you have to know are the Requirements for Italian citizenship. Once you are up to date with all the pertinent information, you can make an appointment.
Since 2019, there is a new modality via WhatsApp to carry out the process of Reconstruction of citizenship, so you have to book your turn over there. Call to
116980-8604 /// 116980-8605
on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, with an Office Hours from 11:30 to 12:30. On the day of the shift, follow the instructions that will be given to you. Don’t forget to:
- Cancel the cost of the application.
- Be a user in the Prenota OnLine system of the Buenos Aires Consulate.
- Scan a photo from front and back, with high resolution of the DMI.
- Present the requirements, such as the DNI and residence in the consular territory.
In the case of direct children who are of legal age, your turn to start the process of acquiring citizenship and submit the documentation you can request it at Prenote OnLine. You must also pay the 300 euros to the official exchange of the consulate.
In the Shift Office the cases of reconstruction of citizenship, citizenship by marriage and of children of legal age are received. In the case of wanting to acquire it by naturalization, this is done in Italy.
Query here the payment methods, so that you can know how you can cancel this obligation.
Benefits of having Italian Citizenship
Acquire Italian citizenship brings many benefits. The first thing is that you can travel to Italy much more comfortably and even stay living there.
You will be able to enjoy opportunities in the fields of economy, finance, education, health and transportation that you will not find in other less developed countries.
You will be able to live in a country full of culture, with beautiful and unique places to visit. If you like food and fashion, then basically these are the first two things that characterize this country.
Its production of goods and services is also one of the best in the world. Being a citizen, you will be able to study, work and receive quality medical services.
And, as if that were not enough, you will be able to more easily access other equally spectacular countries such as the United States, for which you will no longer need a visa, and all those subscribed in the European Union.
Thus, we can summarize the benefits in:
- You will have free transit through the EU.
- You can be a candidate for Parliament.
- You will be able to receive medical attention.
- You will be able to study in a much more accessible way in any country in Europe. Higher courses cost much less for Italian citizens.
- You will not need a Visa to visit Canada, the United States or Japan.
Visit GESTIONALO.NET Argentina
Related articles that may interest you