A Minister is an official in the service of the State. If you want to know more read here the Requirements to be a Minister, everything related to this position in Chile.
A Minister is an official appointed by the President of the Republic to represent and manage a Ministerial Portfolio and assist in the exercise of public functions at the service of citizens.
The ministers are part of the government’s ministerial cabinet. This can also be a diplomatic representative. To be a Minister in Chile it is necessary to meet certain basic conditions as well as to be able to perform functions of the public administration.
Necessary Requirements to Be a Minister in Chile
According to what is established in the Constitution of the Republic of Chile, to be a Minister it is necessary to be Chilean citizen, have fulfilled the 21 years old and comply with the requirements to enter the Public Administration Chilean.
The Requirements to be a Minister are as follows:
- Have complied with the recruitment and mobilization law, if necessary.
- Also, be in good health for a good performance of the position.
- Likewise, they must have approved at least basic secondary education or what is required for the position.
- Not to be dismissed from public office, as a consequence of some disciplinary measure or bad qualification.
- Not be prevented from exercising the functions of government positions.
- Likewise, not have a conviction for any crime.
Process to be a Minister in Chile
In the Requirements to be a Minister, We can see that after the elections the winning candidate and prior to taking office, must organize his ministerial cabinet. This cabinet will be made up of people chosen by the current President for a specific ministerial portfolio.
In general, these ministerial positions are held by members belonging to important political forces that generally have representation in the Congress of the Republic. Basically, your choice, trust and endorsement is given by the President.
The Ministers are the main direct partners of the President of the Nation regarding the governance and administration of the State.
How are Ministers Elected in Chile?
To elect a Minister in Chile, there is a provision in the Constitution of the Chilean Republic that grants the power to the President of the Republic to present a shortlist of candidates before the Senate of the Republic.
The Senate has the power to select the candidate among some of those presented. Once they make the appearance, the Senate chooses and appoints the minister by means of a vote of 2/3 of the present members of this House.
Fully trusted by the President of the Republic are the Minister, Undersecretary and Regional Secretary.
The functions and attributions of the ministers are contemplated in the Constitution of the Republic, below some of these:
- Collaborate with your work to the government management.
- Equally, assist the role of the President of the Republic, since this is not a unipersonal body, because it requires, according to the legal norm, the signature of the Minister of State responsible for a specific portfolio, for the execution of a mandate.
- In addition, sign all regulations or decree issued by the Presidency of the Republic. In accordance with the provisions of Article 35 of the Constitution of the Republic of Chile, all decree must be signed by the corresponding Minister, otherwise they will not be complied with. Decrees can be issued only with the signature of the respective Portfolio Minister, only by presidential order.
- Coordinate the ministries entrusted, is the corresponding areas of competence. This is intended not only to give a character of authenticity but also to give the necessary emphasis to the system of obligations of State officials consistent with the responsibilities of the position.
- Also, idrive and promote development policies local and regional.
Now let’s walk through the Ministerial portfolios and their functions more general. We then have the following:
- Propose to the President of the Republic actions and policies aimed at the preservation of public order and security.
- Present policies on the subject of migration policies.
- Likewise, coordinate preventive measures to control crime and violence.
- Formulate the foreign policy of Chile, building relations of integration and cooperation.
- Likewise, work on the preservation of territorial integrity and political independence.
- Deal with National Antarctic Policy.
- Evaluate the country’s defense policy, military guidelines, and National defense.
- Assign and manage resources according to the law.
- Supervise the investment of the assigned resources.
- To be advisers to the President of the Republic in matters of a political, administrative, legal nature, among others.
- Make the public collection policy effective within the framework of tax equity.
- Participate actively in the modernization of the Chilean State.
- Also, serve as a stimulus for world economic integration.
- In addition, to monitor the steps to achieve an effective coordination of government management.
- Likewise, spaces should be deployed where communication between citizens and the government is encouraged.
- Organize the communications policy between the executive and the main actors and government authorities.
- Provide help and collaboration in the initiatives of the regions and provinces.
- Formulate economic policies that allow competition, production, efficient market action for sustained and sustainable growth of the country.
Other functions that must be fulfilled in different areas are the following:
- Apply social development policies to eradicate poverty and offer social protection to vulnerable people.
- Ensure the development of education in all areas and the protection of the cultural heritage of the Nation.
- Also, promote policies aimed at the protection of human rights and citizen security.
- Apply reforms in the labor area towards gender equality.
- Promote improvements in the Pension System.
- Stimulate social development through infrastructure offering a better quality of life to citizens.
- Also, develop efficient health systems.
- Help decline of the housing deficit of vulnerable sectors.
- Guide and promote agricultural activity in the country.
- Develop mining policies that contribute to national development and take advantage of available resources.
- Likewise, establish transport and telecommunications policies.
- Properly manage the assets of all Chilean citizens.
- Coordinate plans and policies of the country’s energy sector.
- Establish programs on environmental matters and conservation of natural resources promoting sustainable development.
- Evaluate and propose national sports policies.
- Protect women’s rights and gender equality.
- Promote cultural and harmonious development through the promotion and dissemination of national artistic creation and Chilean cultural heritage.
Duration of the position
The Ministers may remain in office for the duration of the President of the Republic that they are four years. Likewise, they may be removed from office when the highest authority of the State so decides.
That is to say, the Ministers are changed when the Head of State decides to make modifications in the cabinet or also for some disciplinary measure.
Laws on Ministers in Chile
Laws that intervene with the different ministerial portfolios of Chile.
Constitution of the Republic of Chile
Articles of the Constitution of the Republic of chili Related to the Ministers in the Government are the following: Articles 33, 34, 35, 36, 37. 37 bis.
- Articles 33: It establishes that the Ministers are the immediate collaborators of the government and of its highest representative the President of the Republic.
- Article 34: establishes what is related to the requirements to be Minister of the Republic of Chile.
- Articles 35: It specifies that the regulations and decrees issued by the Presidency of the Republic must be signed by the corresponding Ministers.
- Article 36: talks about the responsibilities assumed by the Ministers in the exercise of their positions.
- Finally, Article 37 and 37: talks about the attendance of the Ministers to the sessions of both the Chamber of Deputies and the Chamber of the Senate and the incompatibilities concerning the exercise of the office of Minister.
Other laws and decrees:
- Organizational Decree of the State Secretariats No. 7, 912 of November 30, 1927.
- Law 20.502 Article 21 N ° 1, N ° 2, 2 a, 2b, 2c.
- Law 21,150 Article 1 No. 27
- Law 21.105 Article 31 N ° 1, 2,3
- Law 21,045 Article 54 N ° 1, 2,3
- Law 20.074
- Law 18,956 Article 20, 17
Visit GESTIONALO.NET Chile
Related articles that may interest you