The requirements to donate bone marrow, how to sign up, places to apply, and much more in this article. Donate bone marrow it is a solidarity action, since the content of stem cells in it, allows to favor the life of any person.
The use of bone marrow is a suggested procedure for certain oncological diseases such as; leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma, among others.
In many cases, bone marrow transplant is the only chance to heal the condition suffered by people with certain diseases.
It is important to mention that bone marrow, is a component which is located inside certain bones, this substance has a large number of stem cells (hematopoietic).
This substance is responsible for generating red blood cells, targets and platelets that are needed to live, but cannot be manufactured artificially.
It is important to mention that the marrow must be removed from a person compatible with the patient or person who receives it.
Requirements to donate bone marrow
The National Donor Registry in Argentina, is part of the International Bone Marrow Donors Worldwide Network (BMDW), to which 63 countries are affiliated and 32 million people are waiting.
This institution in Argentina, is in charge of incorporating the bone marrow donors to be used for transplants.
In this sense, the following are the requirements to donate bone marrow or stem cells (hematopoietic progenitors):
- Certificate of identity.
- ANDnity comprised between eighteen and fifty-four years old.
- To be healthy.
- The donor’s weight must exceed fifty kilos.
- The donor must not suffer from heart conditions, contagious infections or liver.
- To be enrolled in the center of donors from Argentina.
For enroll in the National Donor Registry Cells in Argentina, the applicant must:
- Complete a form and sign it, for which advice is received from the institution’s staff.
- It must be agreed to deliver a blood sample, this procedure is carried out in the Registry, to analyze and know the genetic data and know who you are compatible with.
- Then I know download the app My Argentina and a user is created to obtain the digital bone marrow donor credential.
Registration is a voluntary act, which in the same way the donor can change their decision if you wish, by contacting the Registry.
The inscription can also be perform in hospital institutions, throughout the country, complying with the requirements to donate bone marrow.
To register as a volunteer in the National Registry of Donors of Hematopoietic Stem Cells it is necessary have the documents mentioned below:
- Identification card of identity
- The signed authorization where it is recognized in writing that you have read and understood all types of questions and that you received the answers to your questions about donation and transplantation.
- Worksheet inscription.
- Medical file where it is authorized to the institution for the extraction of blood, which will be studied for genetic markers.
The National Donor Registry of Argentina works within the (INCUCAI), is in charge of incorporating voluntary cell donors to be used in transplants.
On the other hand below are mentioned important aspects to consider about donating bone marrow:
- The motive for international solidarity, suggests that enrollees should be willing to donate bone marrow to anyone in the world in need.
- It is important to know that donating bone marrow, is to take a portion of blood.
- This portion of blood is effected under general anesthesia, in the indicated medical center.
- Annually people are identified with pathological blood disorders, which can be treated with bone marrow donation therapies, which is difficult to achieve.
- In some cases 25% of patients can achieve compatible donors, in their family environment others must turn to volunteer donors for transplantation.
How to Register to Donate Bone Marrow?
Registration is made in the National Registry of Cell Donors and is part of the requirements to donate bone marrow. Here is the step by step:
- Fill out a registration form and sign it, you will receive guidance from the registry staff.
- Donate blood, you must be willing to a blood draw, which will be analyzed to know the genetic data and to know with whom it can be compatible.
- Download the application My Argentina, create a user and obtain the credential as a bone marrow donor in digital.
The inscription can also be perform in hospital institutions, in the services of specialized of these throughout the country. It is important remember that donating CPH or marrow bone is carried out voluntarily, free, free, in solidarity.
On the other hand the donation, It will be done in two partsOne is the registration as a volunteer and the other is the actual donation, for the latter it usually takes a long time.
So eThe transplant is carried out when there is an applicant and there is a donor who can be related.
In this sense, to carry out the transfer of the CPH for transplantation, the receiving center must carry out the following protocol:
- Check if genetic code (HLA) of a donor in the registry is compatible with a patient who needs a CPH transplant anywhere in the world.
- The specialized team check donor.
- Do the cell extractionIt can be by peripheral blood, it is an outpatient practice or by bone marrow extraction, which is performed under general anesthesia.
- The bone material is transferred Wherever the treatment applicant is located, generally neither the donor nor the patient has to travel.
On all the Argentine territory there donation sites. A few per region are listed below, all requesting the same rlittle equipment to donate bone marrow:
In the Province of Buenos Aires:
- Coronel Dorrego Municipal Hospital.
- Institute of hemo – therapy of Buenos Aires.
- National hospital.
In the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires:
- Clinical hospital.
- Hemocenter Independence Foundation.
- The Ramos Mejía Hospital.
- Durand Hospital.
In the Province of Catamarca, is the Provincial Blood Center.
Also in the Province of Córdoba:
- Private hospital medical center of cordoba.
Also in Chaco Province there is the Julio C. Perrando Hospital and the private bank to donate.
Also in Chubut Province you have the Isola Hospital.
Also in Province of Entre Ríos, The Hospital Justo José de Urquiza and Hospital delicia concepción are present.
Additionally in Province of Formosa, are the President Juan Domingo Perón High Complexity Hospital.
In the Provinces of Jujuy, The Palm and The Rioja, the service is provided in the Hospitals: Pablo Soria, Gobernador Centeno and Enrique Vera Barros, respectively.
Mendoza Province has the Central Hospital Service.
How many times can you donate bone marrow?
Because it is unusual for donated material is similar to that required, it is impossible for one person to donate multiple times.
Nevertheless, to be compatible donor and recipient it can be donated again to the same patient, but this happens very rarely. In case if the need for a new donation occurs or transplant, it would have to be a few days after the first.
Here are some important things about donating bone marrow:
- On the other hand, peripheral blood donation is It can be repeated after six days of the extraction, since the cells of a person is proportional to their weight.
- Similarly if the patient is heavier than the person who donates, the practice is carried out again.
- After one year after the first donation, the National Donor Registry of Argentina will ask the voluntary donor if she wants to activate.
- In this way the Registry you can request a new donation, once for each extraction method as long as one year has elapsed between each extraction.
On the other hand, people who suffer from any condition or have a special condition, such as those mentioned below, cannot donate:
- Arterial hypertension.
- Pregnant women.
- Volunteers with cancer.
- Patients who have had hepatitis B or C.
- If you suffer from psoriasis.
- If you have a stroke.
- Thyroid problems, among others.
Why is it important to donate bone marrow?
Donation of the CPH in any of its forms, it contributes to increasing the life expectancy of many people with potentially terminal illnesses.
Between the terminal disease that can be treated with this donation are:
- People with leukemia, with lymphomas, with multiple myelomas, with medullary aplasias, with neutropenia, with aplastic anemia, with Thalassemia, among others.
In addition, the importance increases when it is known that only thirty percent (30%) of the patients who require CPH find a compatible donor that gives them life expectancy.
Since in many cases, bone marrow transplantation is the only chance of healing the condition that people with certain conditions have.
It is important to mention that the bone marrow, is a component that is locatedInside certain bones, this substance has a large number of stem cells (hematopoietics).
This substance is in charge of generating lred, white blood cells and platelets that are needed to live, but cannot be manufactured artificially.
On the other hand, the medulla is due eget from a compatible person with the sick person or person who receives it.
Visit GESTIONALO.NET Argentina
Related articles that may interest you