Worldwide, the distribution of products implies a great challenge, because it is necessary to act under the controls and conditions established for the correct handling of the products. With respect to food transportation proper handling of the same should be considered to avoid future contamination.
It is important that the vehicle ordered is in a suitable state, for the transport of food, taking care of the temperature and other factors, so that it can reach the final consumer in good condition.
In this opportunity Procedures and requirements, brings you an article with everything you need to know about food transportation in Colombia. Mentioning the conditions of the transport unit, food, inspection, among other data of interest.
For the vehicle to be part of the transportation of food, in Colombian territory, it must comply with a series of essential requirements, according to the Commercial Code, which specifies the conditions that the vehicle must apply for the transport of things and for the transport of food.
In this case, compliance with the requirements enshrined in the resolution 2505 of 2004, which regulates the technical and physical aspects, necessary to carry out a correct distribution of products.
Conditions of carriage
The land transportation of food, requires strict temperature control measures and compliance with certain standards for vehicles used for this activity; in order to guarantee the conservation and quality of the product, which will reach the final consumer.
In this area, the Ministry of Transport by means of the resolution 002505 of 2004, establishes the conditions that vehicles must meet to transport perishable food and any product that requires special refrigeration or freezing conditions.
The conditions that the vehicle must meet according to the Ministry of Transport, are as follows:
- The internal parts of the transport must be hermetic, and the closing and ventilation devices must be made of corrosion-resistant material. It is also necessary that the surfaces allow adequate air circulation.
- The transport unit must have a fully coated thermal insulation to reduce heat absorption.
- Transport doors must be watertight.
- The design of the vehicle must be conditioned to allow the evacuation of washing water.
- If the vehicle has been destined to transport refrigerated or frozen food, it must be properly equipped with an easy-to-read temperature monitoring system, which must be visible.
- In the case of a transport unit without cold equipment, it must have a simple monitoring system.
Food and products
Throughout the world, companies that produce or manufacture goods have the need to distribute the products obtained to all the places where they are put on sale. Depending on the class of product, the place where it is moved, the delivery time and other factors; the transport in charge of carrying the merchandise must meet certain special conditions.
This is done in order that the product arrives in good condition, preserved, on time and there is no complication of any kind.
In Colombia the transportation and distribution of the products is under the control of the Government, which establishes the Commercial Code, which clearly issues the specific regulation that the carrier must comply with for the transportation contract.
It is important to take into account the article 1014, which regulates the transportation of corruptible things, and the article 1030, which deals with the responsibility of the carrier.
The driver must bear in mind that the owner of the vehicle must be responsible for any type of damage caused to the transported product.
Regarding the transport of perishable food, the conditions established in the Resolution 2505 of 2004, to transport under the regulations established by the Colombian government.
Inspection of food transport vehicles
To carry out the inspection of the vehicle intended to transport food, it must meet the following conditions:
- The vehicle must be in good condition and remain clean.
- It must have signage according to the type of product to be transported, which is visible.
- In the event that the vehicle is transporting food or some raw material, it must have at least two products.
Basic manual for food transport
The Basic manual for food transport issues information about health problems with food handling, definitions, generalities about hygiene practices in food transport, cleaning, disinfection, reception measures among other aspects that are necessary to know when transporting food.
Sanitary problems with food handling
The food handling it has risks of contamination, so this is a process that must be carried out with great caution. For this, various measures are used, both in the direct handling of the food, such as conditioning the vehicle to reduce the risks as much as possible.
Pollution can be produced by bacteria, substances of chemical origin, among other factors considered “foreign bodies” that act as pollutants.
Generally or in most cases, it is bacteria, which cause the contamination. Therefore, it is necessary to establish a sanitary control and maintain the appropriate temperature measures for the food to be transported.
If there is an imbalance in the temperature, the bacteria have the opportunity to reproduce which can cause diseases to the final consumer of the product.
Here are some definitions that are established in the basic manual for food transport:
- Contaminated food product: It refers to food that has had some contact with some bacteria or other contaminating agent.
- Chilled food: One that must be kept at a temperature no higher than 4 degrees Celsius.
- Frozen food: It refers to that food that must be kept at a temperature no higher than – 18 degrees Celsius.
- Food product at risk: One who runs the risk of bacteria reproduction.
- Food suitable for consumption: Those that meet the conditions established to be able to be consumed.
- Isothermal vehicle: It refers to that transport unit built with an insulating material, to maintain the interior temperature.
- Refrigerated transport unit: Isothermal transport unit that allows the internal temperature of the box to be reduced in order to maintain the correct temperature.
- Enabled vehicle: The one that is registered and approved and authorized by the entities in charge, so that it can transport food.
General information on hygienic practices in the transport of food
It is important that the transporter takes into account that the transport unit must remain in the established conditions all the time. The transport design must be closed, with compartments separated from the driver’s cabin and must have materials that help to easy cleaning.
The personnel in charge must also comply with certain conditions for the correct handling of the product to be transported:
- Possess adequate clothing: jacket, long pants, footwear and, if necessary, a hat, all in light color when appropriate and in easy-to-wash material.
- Previous training.
- Valid health card or certificate.
- All food has to be transported, must have the bromatological record, the corresponding label and must also have all the documentation of origin.
Remember that transporting food is a task that must be done with care and caution.
Artículos relacionados que te pueden interesar