If you are planning to travel to the United States, you have to bear in mind that processing the Visa is not an easy task. You must do it in time to ensure entry to the future country. Managing the visa process is a complicated task. Since they can approve or deny it. However, we leave you the Requirements to obtain the visa In colombia.
The United States, according to figures obtained, is a country that receives more than 80 million tourists each year from all over the world.
At this time, the establishment of foreigners has increased due to the number of people leaving due to the situation in different countries. The best known are those from Venezuela. But, you can also find Argentines, Dominicans, Peruvians, Spaniards and a huge number of people looking for a better quality or experience of life.
Others, perhaps, do not travel to settle but to meet, walk, work.
This is why in recent years, security and control procedures for the entry and exit of foreigners have been increased. And that is why it has become so difficult to process the Visa.
Cases have been seen where many choose to go without papers. Which is tricky. Once you get to immigration they ask you a series of questions to see if you are fit to enter the country or not. If you do not consider that you have what it takes to enter the USA, they will return you. That is why it is so important that you have all the papers up to date.
If you want to travel abroad, you are going to need two things basically. The valid Colombian passport and a visa issued by the country where you are going to go.
To know if you require a visa, you have to know if that country requires a prior visa to enter its territory.
In this case, Colombia does require a visa. It is within categories B1 and B2 where they explain that Colombian citizens are eligible to receive business and tourism visas for a period of ten years.
What does Visa B1 and B2 mean?
Currently, there are two ways to apply for the Visa.
There is the “ESTA” category that is only available for 38 eligible countries that are part of the Visa Waiver program. Without having the need and obligation to process a regular visa to the USA through the Embassy. The request is made only online.
And there is the category of non-immigrant visas. In this, Colombia enters.
The most common nonimmigrant visa is the B visa.
There are two kinds of American B visas: B-1 for business visitors and B-2 for tourists.
How can I apply for an American B-1 Business Visa?
This type of visa is only available to those who
- They have no intention of leaving Colombia.
- They are temporarily visiting the United States to conduct business. In theory the permit is granted for one year, but most American B-1 visa admissions are approved for just the period of time necessary to conduct business, and they are normally not allowed to stay longer than 3 months.
How can I apply for a B-2 American Tourist Visa?
More than three-quarters of people enter as tourists. The reasons are if they visit family or friends, visits for medical reasons, participation in conferences, participation in short academic courses or other reasons.
However, tourists are normally granted a period of stay of six months which in some circumstances can be extended for an additional period of six more months.
The process of obtaining an American visa can be very simple or extremely difficult.
It all depends on the applicant’s nationality of origin, age, marital status and family and economic ties within their own country and in the United States.
Then we let you know how you should do to process the visa to the United States:
Steps to Apply for the Visa
In detail, we show you the requirements to process the visa for the first time:
- Select visa. First of all, you need know what is the visa you need. As we mentioned before, the most frequent is the tourist visa, type B, with which you can stay up to 6 months in the United States.
- Process your visa. Once you know your visa, you must fill out the application form DS-160.
You can find it on the website of the American Embassy. More information about the form ds 160, consult the link.
- Complete the following application steps to coordinate an appointment at the Consular Section:
- Create a user account on the website
- Enter the confirmation number DS-160 for each of the Visa applicants.
- Complete the process of sending documents by courier service.
- Pay Visa application fees
- Request an appointment at the Consular Section
- Set up receipt of documents. When filling out the form, you must indicate the place where you want your passport to arrive with the American visa. You can pick it up at the offices that Dhl has all over the country. And you can ask to have it delivered to your home, but it has an additional cost.
- Pay. You will receive a confirmation code to make the payment.
You can pay by credit card on the embassy or consulate website. You can also pay in cash at Helm Bank by bringing the pay slip and the payment will be effective in three business days.
- Quote. Once the payment is registered, you can make an appointment on the day and time you prefer with the United States Embassy.
- Interview. Then you must attend the interview at the embassy.
You must bring a passport and the required documents.
- Request confirmation. You will be notified at that time if your visa was accepted, if it is still pending for additional information, an administrative process or other reasons, or if it is rejected.
- Visa receipt. If it was approved, you just need to wait to go to look for it. You can track the shipment from the embassy or consulate website. It usually takes 8 business days.
All those minors who need a Visa, follow the same procedure as any other applicant.
The only exception is for those under 14 years of age, who may be exempt from an interview if they are applying for a tourist visa and are Colombian residents.
If the child has previously been denied a visa, they must subsequently have received a valid visa to be exempt from an interview.
The older adult follows the same steps mentioned in the first point.
The exception is those over 80 years of age. That, in the same case of minors under 14 years of age, they are exempt from an interview if they are applying for a tourist visa and are Colombian residents.
What documents are needed to apply for the Visa?
Actually, in Colombia, many requirements are not required.
What you should have current is the valid passport and the visa appointment confirmation sheet.
How much does it cost to get the Visa?
When making the payment, what is canceled is the cost of the interview, not the visa.
Each type of visa requires a different type of study, so each interview has a different cost.
Tips to Obtain a Visa
The key to everything: Dtell the truth.
If you show a lot of nervousness, you are instantly denied a visa.
- You must tell why you want to go to the United States.
- Answer the consular officer’s questions without hesitation, with sincerity and absolute honesty.
- If you don’t understand a question, kindly ask for it to be repeated.
- If you have a work contract in that country and the company has requested you, you can apply for the business visa.
- In case of having a study grant or enrollment in a study center.
- For not being the first time that you go to that country and you have several visas in your passport.
- Be a member of an international organization recognizable.
- In marriage with a national of that country or your children were born in that territory.
- Son of a national of that country.
- You have an invitation from an organization, company, institution or educational entity in that country.
After examining your case, they will tell you if it was approved or not.
What to do if the Visa is denied?
If your visa was denied, there is no set time you should wait before reapplying for the visa.
However, we recommend calm and patience in this difficult situation.
Talk calmly with the officer to consult or wait certain years to reapply.
Why do they reject the Visa?
You must bear in mind that the Visa is rejected for many reasons. Not everyone is clear, only they know why they made that decision, however, some factors that promote the rejection of the Visa are:
- If you are unemployed.
- If you have a very low level of education.
- Men have greater difficulties than women to obtain a visa.
- Young people have greater difficulties than older people to obtain a visa.
- If you have legal problems or you had at some point.
- First time you are going abroad.
- Deported from some country.
- At some point I have previously refused your visa.
- Relatives in that country who have had migration problems or other difficulties.
- Your details are inaccurate or misleading.
You have to be very clear that those are not the only reasons for them to deny the visa. That is why we recommend that you have all your documents in a very orderly way.
- If you know someone who has been to that country, ask for their advice.
- Take your time to fill in the information requested in the form.
- Do not lie. All those who lie and find out.
- Do not falsify documents.
- Attach other documents that are not requested. For example, letters of recommendation from the company, the organization you belong to, the university, which can give the consul an idea of who you are and your intentions when visiting the country.
All these tips will help you to carry out your visa process safely. Remember to follow all the steps and Requirements to obtain the visa. Much success!
Artículos relacionados que te pueden interesar