Recently in El Salvador a new psychological test was passed as part of the requirements to obtain a driver’s license. This examination has created confusion in Salvadorans. So if you are one of them, go ahead and get to know the Requirements for VMT psychological test.
The psychological examination of the Vice Ministry of Transport (VMT) It has its legal basis in Article 65 of the Law of Land Transportation, Traffic and Road Safety. Which orders that «every driver must undergo an examination to determine the quality of possessing the physical and mental aptitudes to qualify for a driver’s license.»
Requirements for VMT Psychological Exam
The VMT psychological test is part of the procedures to obtain a driver’s license in El Salvador. In the facilities of Servicios de Tránsito Centroamericanos SA de CV (SERTRACEN) you must follow the following steps:
- Present your original Tax Identification Number (NIT) and legible copy enlarged to 150% front and back on a single front of the page.
- Also present your birth certificate. (original and copy) (valid for less than 6 months).
- You must also bring your original valid Unique Personal Identity Document (DUI) and a legible copy enlarged to 150% front and back on a single front of the page.
- Proof of blood group from clinical laboratory, with signature, stamp and registration number in original and legible copy enlarged to 150% front and back on a single front of the page. If the blood type is on the DUI, you can meet this requirement by submitting a photocopy of it.
- Have approved a Psychological exam by the Vice Ministry of Transportation (VMT). In addition to passing the visual, theoretical and practical exams, in any Examining School authorized by VMT.
- Have passed the theoretical exam by the Vice Ministry of Transportation.
To process the presentation of the exam, you must meet the following requirements:
- First schedule an appointment presenting the application payment invoice, the DUI and the NIT, in copy and in original.
- After this, the exam is performed according to the programmed list, presenting the invoice, DUI and NIT again.
- After the data is collected, the colleagues assign a team, a computer, which is where the tests will be executed via the system.
- The test consists of a number of questions with 4 possible answers. Each answer has a specific score and the final result is to determine whether or not the person is fit to drive according to their mental condition.
- Those who take the test will have 45 minutes to complete it. After this lapse, the system will stop and immediately return the results.
- If the psychic test is passed, the future driver must go to an examining company to take the exams, visual, theoretical and practical.
- Then it should be submitted at the VMT to a theoretical reassessment.
- Once all these stages have been completed, the person will be empowered to obtain their driver’s license at the Sertracen facilities.
Remember that it is a personal procedure, so no one can accompany you in the rooms. If you have doubts, you can make an Inquiry of Procedures at 917 E-mail: email@example.com.
How to request the VMT psychological test?
To request the exam, you must make the corresponding payment at the Vice Ministry of Transportation. And it will be there, where they will indicate the date for the presentation of your exam.
What is the VMT Psychological Exam for?
The purpose of this test is to establish a control in drivers, measuring tolerance levels, stress management, among others, with the aim of having motorists emotionally and mentally fit to drive a vehicle.
The General Director of Transit of the VMT Edwin Flores, assures that the objective is not only to reduce the road accident rate, but also the deceased and injured people as a result of a road accident.
What questions are asked on the exam?
The computers where the tests will be carried out are of the latest generation and have a touch screen that makes the execution of the evaluation easier. The applicant must answer 57 questions in 40 minutes or less.
The psychiatrist Miguel Fortín Magaña, referring to one of the questions, which says: When am I in a hurry ?, and the options to answer are:
- a) I am not very correct with other drivers;
- b) I don’t pay much attention to the signals;
- c) I am more impatient;
- d) insult other drivers even if they don’t hear it.
Which of these answers is the correct one? asks the psychiatrist, then thinks that none because none is adequate.
«What answer exemplifies you if all the potential answers are incorrect», he valued.
He also referred to another question similar to the previous one that the applicant must answer, which says: When am I in a hurry? The answer options are:
- a) I get in a bad mood with the actions of traffic managers;
- b) I get nervous and impatient when I see traffic lights;
- c) I don’t pay much attention to signage;
- d) None of the above usually happens to me.
These are some examples of what you will be asked during the VMT psychological test.
The psychologist Carlos Flores, expressed his opinion as the exam is designed, assesses the behavioral predispositions of future applicants. However, psychological tests face «social desirability.» Which consists of responding, not to reality, «but with what you think is desirable to respond,» he said.
If I fail the exam, will I not have a license?
If you fail the exam, you will not be able to continue with the process to obtain your license. So you should try again at the next opportunity indicated.
The test will have a value of $ 5.65, which must be paid only at the Office of the Vice Ministry of Transportation.
Do all types of license take the exam?
In principle, the test is done to applicants for the first time and to those who process the homologation and homologation with exchange of foreign license. Although it is expected that in the future it will be for all types of license.
Can I take the exam again?
If the test is not passed, applicants will have the opportunity to undergo a new evaluation after one month.
«After a month you can evaluate it again, if you stop the test again, after three months you can evaluate it again, if you leave it again, after three months in the same way, you can evaluate it as many times as you want and while not exceeds it, you will not be able to continue with the process «(General Director of Transit of VMT Edwin Flores)
How long should you wait?
One would think that such an easy process shouldn’t take long. But this is not the case.
It is presented that in reality the hours that Salvadorans must wait in line to carry out this procedure are long. If a person pretends to be among the first to pay, they must arrive in line outside the VMT before six in the morning. That is if others did not arrive before her.
The problem occurs because the procedure must be paid at the institution’s collection office and there are only three ATMs attending.
The date is not left for me to do it in two or three days. Although that is a long time taking into account that procedures such as obtaining the DUI, the passport, among others, are given the same day.
A young woman, who aspires to obtain a license, came to pay for her exam on July 25, apart from taking three hours, the date that she was told that she must appear to take it is August 31, that is, 38 days after having cancelled.
The complaints that are heard, among all those who come to make the long lines, is that the payment should be made in a banking agency, where the procedures are in less time.
The payment receipt establishes the time when the applicant must arrive for the psychological test. Although they suggest that you arrive 15 minutes earlier than indicated.
In the event that the appointment is at 1 in the afternoon, you must stand in line (sitting in a chair). They ask for the DUI and the NIT and then they take a photograph (similar to how they do in Immigration to obtain the passport).
After that, wait a couple of minutes for the applicant to pass the exam in a of the 15 computers that are in cubicles.
The time given to the evaluated is 40 minutes. The questions are not difficult, only that in total there are 57.
At the end of the last one, the same machine tells you if the person passed or failed the psychological test.
Since the applicant queued for three hours to pay and then get to take the test in 25 or 38 days. And in case it is solvent, that is only a prerequisite to undergo the theoretical examination in the same offices of the VMT.
Many who even cancel to take the test consider it a waste of time.
Sites to take the exam
The psychological test will be carried out only in the Vice Ministry of Transportation.
This exam has caused great havoc to citizens in the search for them to get their license. But as part of all government measures for the protection of drivers, it is mandatory. So remember the Requirements for VMT psychological test And take your exam now!
Related articles that may interest you