In El Salvador, as in all countries, there is a type of precise documentation that serves as an identification of your nationality. This allows generating a record of how many inhabitants reside in the country and it is also the personal identity document par excellence.
In this article we introduce what are the requirements to get the DUI, that is, the Unique Identity Document of Salvadorans.
For the country, it is mandatory to have an identity document that identifies you as a member of society, therefore it is imperative that if you do not have the DUI or it is expired, you take the responsibility and diligence of carrying out the procedure.
Requirements to get the DUI
We all know that carrying out procedures in most cases is a tedious, frustrating and in many cases conflictive task. The idea of presenting the requirements is that you are prepared when going to the precise institution. So you can save time, invest it wisely, avoid complications and process your DUI as quickly as possible with all the requirements you need.
If this is your first time processing the DUI, these are the requirements and what you should have on hand:
- Having turned 18, you can take it out one day after your birthday onwards.
- Original birth certificate, less than a year after obtaining it
- Present any of the following documents: Minority Card, Passport, Valid Driver’s License, Personal Identity Card or Electoral Card.
- If you do not have any of the above documents, you must go with your father or mother with your DUI, or bring two witnesses, preferably family members with a current DUI.
If your intention is renew DUI that is expired these are the requirements:
- Present the receipt in the name of the person who carries out the procedure; It costs $ 10.31 and can be paid at any of the banks in the financial system.
- DUI, in case you have it.
- If you want to make any changes or add other information to your new DUI, you can present the following documents, as the case may be:
- Marriage: Certification of birth certificate marginalized with marriage or marriage certificate.
- Divorce: Certification of birth certificate marginalized with divorce or divorce certificate.
- Widowhood: Certification of the marginalized birth certificate with the death or death certificate of the deceased.
- Known for: Marginalized birth certificate certification with the «known to».
- Profession: Original title and copy or accreditation card issued by the competent authorities.
- Blood type: Proof issued by a laboratory, stamped by the Surveillance Board or driver’s license in a valid format.
As you can see, the requirements vary depending on what your case is..
How to get a DUI
Now we show you how the DUI processing process is done. Remember that this procedure is personal, therefore your presence is mandatory.
- Payment: it is the first thing you must do in case it is renewal, modification or replacement. You already know that the amount is $ 10.31 paid at any banking institution of your convenience. Remember to request the receipt!
- Present yourself to a DUIcenter: You must go to a place where the DUI is taken, which are called DUI centers, and you can find at least one near your home or in your apartment. If elections are approaching and you are about to turn 18, inform yourself well what are the deadlines in which you have the chance to carry out the procedure so that you can enter the electoral roll
Eye: It should be noted that there is the possibility of carrying out the procedure by means of an online appointment, where they will give you the day and time that you must appear directly to do it without waiting in long lines. Follow this link to request the appointment online https://dui-sv.com/
- Data collection: Once you pass inside the DUIcenter, sit down to wait for your turn and when they call you, an employee will attend you in a cubicle provided for that purpose. He will take the information, the fingerprints and the photo. Get ready and it is presentable at the time of the photo, think that you will have to use it for 8 years!
Eye: If you’re going to make any modifications, this is the time to say so!
- DUI delivery: Finally, they will tell you to wait a few minutes while they process the information and prepare the document (DUI). They cooroboran the information and after a few minutes it will be delivered to you. Once with the document in hand, you can carry out all the procedures you need with your new DUI.
Where do I go to get the DUI?
Within the official website of the DUIcentro you will be presented with a platform where by specifying the locality or area in which you reside, you will obtain a license to the center to which you can have more access and comfort when transporting yourself. This address will be accompanied by a map in case you need more visual classes to locate yourself and find the DUIcenter easily.
They usually have an opening hours from Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (without closing at noon) and on Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 12 p.m.
This is the specific link that refers to the locations of the DUIcentro of the official page: https://dui-sv.com/#tab-1398376458710-3-7
What is the DUI?
As an identification document it contains many personal data among which are: DUI number, Surname and Names, Gender (male or female), Nationality, Date and Place of birth, Place and Date of issue, Address, Expiration date, Signature, Municipality, Department, Father’s Name, Mother’s Name, Family Status, Profession or trade.
As you can see, it is a document that really provides quite detailed and precise personal information about the person, hence the importance and duty of its processing. In addition, it must be considered that the DUI, being the only identity document, serves to carry out many more complex procedures that are part of the daily life of the Salvadoran citizen. For example:
- Open a bank account
- Cash a check
- Withdraw money from a bank account
- Buy a .sv domain
- Pay with a debit or credit card at a supermarket
- Get your vehicle or motorcycle driver’s license
- Apply to a formal job
- Carry out procedures in higher education institutions
- Check your identity in PayPal
- Check your identity in Payoneer
- Buying a cell phone or phone chip
- Identify yourself in Social Security
- Identify yourself with the authorities
- Seat your children
- Among other
Many questions and doubts may come to our mind when considering carrying out procedures. In order for you to find yourself safe and to know all the possible variations in the steps and requirements of this type of procedure referring to the identity document, we present you the most frequently asked questions with their respective answers.
Can I get a DUI before I turn 18?
No, it is not possible for you to get the DUI yet because you are a minor. However, there are special occasions where it is necessary to do so. For example, if an election is approaching, the process of processing the Unique Identity Document is opened for minors who are close to turning 18 years old. Thus, they can be included in the electoral roll that usually closes on dates close to the election period.
How much does a DUI cost?
Yes it is first time that you carry out the procedure will be delivered to you in a free. On the other hand, if it has been lost (repossession), you have been defeated (renewal) or if you want to make any changes to the information that is exposed in your current DUI or make an update (modification) of data the cost will be $ 10.31.
We recommend that you make the payment at any banking institution that is empty so that you do not waste useful time. Various users reported that all banking institutions respond effectively to the request, except for Banco Azteca and the Credit Banks.
When you approach the ticket office you simply have to tell the person who is treating you that you are coming to pay the DUI receipt and in five minutes you will be ready.
How often does the DUI expire?
The Unique Identity Document (DUI) is valid for 8 years from the date it was issued. Once that period of time has elapsed, you will have to carry out the pertinent procedures to renew your document.
Is it mandatory to present the blood type?
Yes, it is important that you bring with you a document issued by a medical laboratory that specifies your blood type and if you have Rh factor. This has a practical utility, in case you suffer an accident or decomposition to have the information
Is a fine paid if it is not taken out at 18 years of age?
No, no fine will be infringed if it is not processed. However, it is a document that will be requested in many other spaces and procedures that you will have to achieve as part of the independence and consolidation of the adult life of every person.
Do witnesses always have to be family members?
It is not mandatory, but the general recommendation is that they ARE family members, that they can identify you and that they recognize a consanguineous bond with you.
Is DUI taken as a minor?
Only in the aforementioned case that an electoral period is approaching.
Can the DUI be requested at home?
Yes, this possibility allows people who are physically unable to move around or stand for a long time.
Should the DUI be obtained in the province where you were born?
No, it does not matter if you process the DUI in the province in which you were born. The important and most practical thing is that you carry out the procedure in a DUIcenter that is close to the area where you currently reside.
Related articles that may interest you