If your NIE has expired or for some other inconvenience it has been lost, you can request a renewal at the embassy or an Honorary Consulate.
We will explain in a very clear way the procedures and the necessary documents to make the Requirements to renew the NIE
Requirements to renew INE
The relevant requirements to renew the INE are the following:
- In whose favor a procedure is initiated to obtain a document that enables them to remain in Spanish territory other than a visa
- to whom an administrative file has been initiated by virtue of the provisions of the regulations on immigration
- who, due to their economic, professional or social interests, are related to Spain.
In the first two cases, the NIE is granted in Spain, ex officio, by the General Directorate of the Police in Spain, provided that the foreigner is not in Spain in an irregular situation and communicates the reasons why he requests the assignment of said number. .
In the third case, all foreigners who, due to their economic, professional or social interests are related to Spain, may personally request the NIE from the General Directorate of the Police or, in the event that they are not present at the time of the application in Spain, to the Embassy or to the honorary Consulates.
As a consequence, if the applicant plans to study or work in Spain and, therefore, go to live in that country in the near future, they will not be able to submit the application through the Embassy.
But necessarily through the police in Spain, citizens of Member States of the European Union will have to register as such and in this way they will obtain the NIE.
Citizens of non-member States of the European Union will obtain the NIE together with the residence permit.
In order to obtain the NIE through the Embassy, it will be necessary to have a period of approximately one week, except in the event that the NIE is sent by post instead of by email, in which case the period may to be better.
In any case, the deadlines do not depend on the Embassy, but on the authorities in Spain.
The documents required to renew the NIE are the following:
Whenever possible, please fill in the form on your computer and then print it out; please, do not forget to communicate your email address so that we can send you your NIE.
- Valid passport (citizens of the European Union may present an identity document): original and copy.
The copy must go on a DIN A4 page; in the case of the passport, a copy of the page on which the photograph appears will be made; in the case of the identity document, the copy of the front and back will be made on a single page.
- Payment of the administrative fee. In cash (only accepted at the Embassy in Vienna) or in the following bank account:
Account holder: Embassy of Spain in Vienna
Bank: Bank Austria
Account number: 22910233102
WERE GOING: AT79 1200 0229 1023 3102
Reason: (NIE, name, surnames)
- In the event that the interested party has made the payment by transfer, proof of payment.
- If for any reason (for example, not residing in Vienna or in any of the cities where there is no Honorary Consulate, being hospitalized,…), you cannot go personally to this Embassy or to any of our Honorary Consulates, the sending by mail the documentation related to the application for a NIE certificate. Provided that the signature of the NIE certificate application form and the copy of your passport or identity document have been made before a notary public and the corresponding notarial legalizations of those are sent. documents with the application. A special power of attorney will also be admitted in which it is expressly stated that the agent is empowered to submit the request to obtain the NIE certificate of the interested person.
- In the event that, because you do not have your own email address, you would like us to send it to you by post, you must send us a prepaid envelope with the postal address to which you want it to be sent.
- if they are minors, the father, mother or guardian must also be present and provide a copy and original of their identity document.
How to process the renewal of the NIE
Initially, you must fill out the form requested on the page of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, preferably complete the lines digitally, then you must print it and go to the corresponding offices along with the other documents mentioned above.
How often should the NIE be renewed?
the NIE with character certificate temporary, It is valid for only 3 months, and is intended for those foreigners who at no time intend to reside even briefly in Spain but who, without moving to live in our country, must carry out a specific act with tax relevance in Spain.
Something that they will do in just one or several days of travel and stay (for example: appear before a notary to receive an inheritance, or to sign the purchase of a house, etc.).
This document must be renewed once its expiration date has arrived.
How much does it cost to renew the NIE?
This document, necessary for a foreigner residing in Spain for more than 3 months, has a renewal cost of €7.17. Said payment can be made in cash only through the Embassy in Vienna or deposited.
Below we show you a couple of examples with images of the Residence Permit card, which includes the NIE (Foreign Identification Number) valid in Spain:
Offices to renew NIE
The Consulates available to renew the NIE are:
- Honorary Consulate in St. Pölten (Lower Austria)
Honorary Consul: Mr./Hr.Dkfm. Walter Stefan Kristoff
Address: Arbeitergasse 26; 3108 St. Pölten (Niederösterreich)
Phone: +43 (0) 6645061900
Fax: +43 (0) 2236473844
- Honorary Consulate in Linz (Upper Austria)
Honorary Consul: Mr./Hr.Dipl.Ing. Heinz Pedak
Address: Hasnerstrasse 2, 9B; 4020 Linz (Oberösterreich)
Telephone: +43 (0) 732/2595
Fax: +43 (0) 73266066260
- Honorary Consulate in Salzburg (Salzburg)
- Honorary Consulate in Rankweil (Vorarlberg)
Honorary Consul: Mr./Hr.Mag. Albert Ruetz
Address: Wimmatweg 4; 6830 Rankweil (Vorarlberg)
Telephone: +43 (0) 676 512 1945
Fax: +43 (0) 552242359
- Honorary Consulate in Innsbruck (Tyrol)
Honorary Consul: Mr./Hr. Gaudenz G. Trapp
Telephone: +43 (0) 664 887 85252
- Honorary Consulate in Graz (Styria)
Honorary Consul: Mr./Hr. Christof Korp
Address: Reif und Partner – Brückenkopfgasse, 1;8020 Graz
Phone:+43 (0)316 83 38 40-371
Fax: +43 (0) 316 83 38 40-305
- Honorary Consulate in Launsdorf (Carinthia)
Honorary Consul: Mr./Hr. Karl Khevenhüller-Metsch.
Address: Niederosterwitz 1, 9314 Launsdorf
Phone:+43 (0) 4213 20 20
What is the NIE?
Foreigner Identity Number (NIE): Foreigners who, due to their economic, professional or social interests, are related to Spain, will be provided, for identification purposes, with a personal, unique and exclusive numbersequential.
The number staff will be alien identifierwhich must appear in all the documents that are issued or processed, as well as the procedures that are stamped on your identity card or passport.
For the assignment of NIE for reasons of economic, professional or social interests, the following requests will be accepted:
- Those presented in Spain personally by the interested party,
- Those presented in Spain through a representative,
- Those presented at the Spanish Diplomatic Representations or Consular Offices located in the country of residence of the applicant, corresponding to their demarcation of residence.
It is important to note that the NIE is not about any specific card. The number will be reflected in different cards such as the residence permit. This means that an associated card is not issued with this number.
On the other hand, the card where the NIE is printed will have its own security filters so that it is difficult to forge. As a guide, the support of the national identity document has relief engravings, invisible inks and other methods that complicate its imitation or manipulation.
There is confusion between the NIE and the TIE. This possible confusion originates from the existence of the TIE, whose acronym stands for Foreigner Identity Card.
The similarity of both acronyms contributes to generating a little confusion, but as explained above, they are completely different concepts. In short, the TIE is the document that accredits residence in Spain while the NIE is an identification number of the foreign person.
What does the NIE work for?
The purpose of this number is to unequivocally identify a foreign person within Spanish territory, in this way it will be possible to carry out, for example, different bureaucratic procedures that would otherwise be impossible.
Thus preventing illicit activities from occurring within Spanish territory with falsified identities or the permanence of unwanted characters or those who do not contribute morally and legally to what Spain represents.
If you are a foreigner with the intention of vacationing and enjoying Spain, you will be able to do so for a period of 3 months, and after that period you will have to opt for a Foreigner Identification Number, which may be temporary or permanent (3 more months).
For that you have to be clear about the Requirements to renew the NIE.
Related articles that may interest you