Thanks to the people who donate their hair and there are more and more!… They are willing to help various associations and entities that make free wigs for those who need them with their tails and braids.
Do you want to be part of this excellent initiative? Find out about the Requirements to donate hair.
Requirements to donate hair in Spain
Each organization in charge of collecting hair donations has its own requirements, so you should find out specifically what each of them requests.
They usually ask for the following:
- If you are under 18, check with your parents, as you may need authorization from the place where you are going to get your hair cut.
- Be under 35 years of age.
- The length of your tail must be between twenty (20cm) or eight (8 inches); some associations require up to thirty (30cm) or twelve (12 inches) as a minimum to be able to accept the hair.
- Healthy hair (that you have not done many bleaching, dyes or highlights, ironing, perms or straightening).
- Adequate hygiene (that your hair is free of lice, nits, or any disease of the scalp).
- The strands must have the same average and direction
- Be sure you want to make the donation.
Documentation to donate hair in Spain
Documentation as such is not required, except in the cases of minors who may be asked for authorization from their parents.
If the organization keeps a statistical control of the donors, you may have to fill it out and send it printed or online with the reference number of your donation.
Steps to donate hair in Spain
When you go to make the donation, make sure you follow the following steps:
- Wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner. Do not put creams or other styling products such as jellies, sprays, etc.
- Pick up your hair at the nape of the neck, if you have very abundant hair you can divide it into three tails, one at the back of the head, and two tails on each side of the head at the back.
- Make a ponytail with a strong elastic band.
- If there are hairs outside the band, they will not be included in the donation.
- Prevent the hair from coming out of the tail by placing other garters in the center. You can also make a braid.
- The band has to be just below the place where you want to cut your hair, for this the tail must measure at least eight (8) inches or twenty (20) centimeters long.
- If you don’t have long enough hair, wait until it grows a little longer as it will not be accepted if you do not meet this condition.
- Go to your favorite hairdresser and get the cut.
Where to donate hair in Spain?
In Spain there are several organizations that are responsible for receiving hair donations.
For example, in Malaga, the Mechones Solidarios Association receives and makes custom-made wigs for cancer patients from all over Spain.
Cancer patients pay a small percentage or even no euro for wigs based on their income. The social work team will evaluate each economic situation.
Here we leave you the names of several organizations, in case you want to make a donation:
- Solidarity Tufts: mechonessolidarios.com/peluqueras-solidarias
- pekelucas – The hair bank: pekelucas.org
- Spanish Association Against Cancer (AECC)you can do it through the Spanish Association of Posticería (AEP).
- Another option is to go to the associated hairdressers to these organizations or simply state your purpose.
Why donate hair?
In Spain there are many foundations that promote this initiative and that promote the donation of hair to people with cancer, because the treatments to combat it are extremely aggressive, they cause hair loss, which makes patients feel bad emotionally.
With the donations, wigs will be made both for people who can afford them and for people with limited resources.
To encourage you to continue with this commendable activity, we leave you some reasons to donate your hair:
- Your hair grows healthy, some people don’t.
- You will have a new and vibrant look
- Your hair will grow healthier, since it is advisable to cut it from time to time.
- You will feel incredible helping the sick, donating something as yours as your hair.
Associations to be a hair donor
There are associations like:
- Solidarity locks: It has more than 500 associated hairdressers that are located throughout the country. There they cut your hair for free if you want to donate it. They, in turn, collaborate with the Aladina Foundation by donating wigs made with natural hair.
- Pekelucas: It is a non-profit association that makes free wigs, especially for girls, and also manages a donation bank.
- Pink Bracelets: This association has the project «your hair is worth a treasure» is a solidarity initiative to help women and children who are fighting cancer.
- Spanish Association Against Cancer (AECC): You can do it through the Spanish Association of Posticería (AEP), and deliver it to one of the solidarity hairdressers of the AEP or send the envelope by post to the following address:
When we have the initiative to donate hair, questions such as:
- How long should I be?
They usually require 30cm (12 inches), as a minimum.
- Is there an age limit to do it?
There is no age limit, but it is recommended to be under 35 years of age.
- Is it safe to donate my hair to any foundation?
It is always better to verify the organization where the contribution is made, since due to the cost of the wigs, there are unscrupulous people who take advantage of the goodwill of people to profit.
- How much hair do they need to make a wig?
Approximately 14 tails are used to make an excellent wig and each one comes from a different person with different shades of color.
- Why is dyed hair not recommended?
The procedure for making wigs includes coloring the received tails, and to make them look much more realistic, all the tails must be processed and dyed in the same color. Therefore, the hair must be strong enough to absorb as much dye as possible.
Gray hair, dyed or bleached, does not meet these properties satisfactorily, it is more difficult to dye it, and once dyed it fades very easily.
- How much does a natural hair wig cost?
Wigs made with natural hair can reach a value of 2,000 to 3,000 euros.
What is the maximum length that can be donated?
The measurement is taken from where you put the league down. Some associations require a minimum measurement of 30 cm to be able to make long-haired wigs, which are the most requested on the market.
Many women like to order long hair wigs in order to achieve the look they had before they lost their hair.
Can dyed hair be donated?
Hair can be bleached, dyed, highlighted or permed… practically all types of treated hair are accepted, however this will depend on the associations and how each of them works.
The color of your hair is indifferent, although one of the most sought-after is natural blonde due to its scarcity in our environment.
Those in charge of making the wigs consider that dyed hair cannot be worked on since it has different shades. If we want wigs with a more realistic appearance and a much more even color, this hair is not the right one because it must be processed and dyed from the roots to the tips in the same tone.
Processed or gray hair does not absorb the dye in the same way, so it is difficult to dye it again and prevent it from fading over time.
- If your donation is for the AECC, this association does accept dyed hair, with gray hair or tufts
Is a review carried out before donating hair?
If the hair will be used by cancer associations, they will surely be examined to rule out any anomaly that may affect the patients and if it passes validation they will proceed to use it.
What is done with the donated hair?
Each organization uses the donated hair in different ways, mainly the donation is made to create wigs for people with cancer or genetic alopecia.
For example, in Mechenes Solidarios, custom-made wigs are made in a short period of time that can be up to 2 weeks; it should be noted that these They are not sold.
The wig offered is of high quality and is made with 100% natural hair.
Natural hair is used because the wigs are more durable, reflect light naturally and breathe, since they do not give off heat and the scalp is better oxygenated. Its average duration compared to that of other similar products exceeds 8 years, and it can be used frequently without problems.
The treatment that this type of wig needs is the same as that we give to our own hair, although it must be washed less frequently and more delicately to keep it in good condition.
The so-called «EasyHair» are also made from natural hair that do not have hair on the crown of the head, which makes them different from the others and much fresher.
Making wigs is a process that can take up to 10 hours of work.
Get a modern cut and donate your hair, you will see that you will feel great. We hope that the information of the Requirements to donate hair have served you
Related articles that may interest you