Are you a professional truck or bus driver and want Apply for the CAP Card? Well, this information is for you. Here we are going to tell you what you need to know to obtain the Certificate of Professional Aptitude (CAP). Whether you are a new driver or a former driver.
The CAP is an accreditation for drivers who have passed the courses and exams required to obtain an initial qualification as a professional driver. Remember that CAP is a requirement of the European Union to increase road and driver safety. As well as keeping drivers updated with the new demands of road transport.
Do not stop! Continue reading!
What is CAP?
It is a Directive 2003/59 / EC of the European Parliament that establishes rules applicable to the initial qualification and periodic training of truck or bus drivers. The CAP is mandatory for all drivers of trucks over 3.5 tons or buses. That is, all those drivers with driving licenses C1, C1 + E, C, C + E, D1, D1 + E, D or D + E.
It is a mandatory training different from that required to obtain driving licenses incorporated into the General Drivers Regulations. The objectives of the training are:
- Improve road safety and driver safety, even during actions carried out by the driver with the vehicle stationary.
- Ensure that drivers respond to the demands created by the evolution of the road transport market.
To obtain the certificate, professional drivers must complete one day of periodic training per year to maintain their CPC rating on an ongoing basis. This training comprises a face-to-face training that covers a minimum of 7 hours. And it is structured to ensure that all drivers can comfortably participate in the class.
Who Issues the Card?
The certificate is issued by the Ministry of Transport, Mobility and Infrastructure of each community. Who is in charge of the development, coordination and control of the execution of the Government’s public policies. This in terms of transport, mobility, roads, railways and other transport infrastructures. There are two ways to get CAP certification:
- Initial training courses for new drivers. Which include initial training courses for freight transport and passenger transport.
- Continuous training course or renewal, for former drivers.
The initial training courses for new drivers comprise 130 theoretical hours and 10 practical hours that are taught while driving in the vehicle. To pass the theoretical hours it is required to pass the CAP exam.
This is a multiple choice theory exam, which contains 100 questions with 4 answer options. Each good answer adds one point, a bad answer subtracts half a point, and each blank answer does not add or subtract.. The minimum passing grade is 50 points.
Continuous training or renewal courses for former drivers comprise 35 theoretical hours and do not require practice or exam. In order to know what type of course the driver should take, the date of obtaining the driving license must be considered.
In the case of passenger transport, if the permit is after 09/10/2008, it is considered a new driver and the long course must be done. Otherwise, it is considered an old driver. For the transport of goods, a new driver is one whose permit was obtained after 09/10/2009.
CAP expansion courses
If a person already has a certification, in freight transport or travel, and wants to obtain the other certification, they can take an extension course. To do this, you do not have to complete the 140-hour course, but you have to do the extension course for the missing certification.
This course comprises 35 hours of theory, 2 and a half hours of practice and a theoretical exam of 25 questions. This is because of the 135 theoretical hours of each training course, 95 hours are of common subjects.
Requirements to Apply for the CAP Card
For apply for the CAP Card and become a certified driver to drive in the European Union, you should consider the following requirements:
- Possess a license of the type C1, C1 + E, C, C + E, D1, D1 + E, D or D + E.
- Be over 18 years of age if you want to obtain a certification to drive a freight transport.
- Be over 21 if you want to get certified to drive a bus.
- Be medically fit to drive a bus or truck.
How to Apply for the CAP Card?
For apply for the CAP Card that qualifies you as a bus or truck driver, you must apply online. This is done through the Electronic Headquarters of the Ministry of Transport, Mobility and Urban Agenda. You can make the request through the following steps:
- Enter itto official website of the Electronic Office of the Ministry of Transport, Mobility and Urban Agenda.
- Press the “Continue” option and enter the data from the form that is shown.
- Cancel the rate corresponding to theupon issuance of the card, selecting the option to be made in the Web page. In the case of a The first issue must also request the Certificate of Professional Aptitude and pay the corresponding fee.
- Electronic upload of the card and / or certificate application.
- Also attach to the application the digitized copies of the documents that, in each case, are required, whose fidelity to the original will be guaranteed through the use of an advanced electronic signature.
- Exceptionally, the applicant may be required to show the original document or information.
- Wait for the results of the application evaluation process. This is the study of the documentation provided and consultation of information to other organizations through the different Electronic Registries.
- Wait for the results of the remediation process. Which is done in case the information is not complete, with which you have 10 business days to present the information.
- Once you have met all the requirements, the card and / or certificate will be issued.
Remember that in accordance with the provisions of article 28.7 of Law 39/2015, the interested parties will be responsible for the veracity of the documents they present.
Keep in mind that you can only apply for the CAP card when your degree and / or course have been validated. The CAP Card will reflect the dates of the validated titles at the time of request.
If a CAP Card is requested before the completed course is validated, the card will reflect the validity date prior to the course itself. In this sense, you must request the issuance of the CAP Card again without being able to reuse the previous rate.
Once you receive the issuance alert, you must wait two to three business days for the CAP Card to be available for collection. The application, modification and withdrawal process is not organized by courses. This is because the holders of the CAP Cards obtained can choose to process their application directly or through a representative, Administrative Manager and / or Driving School.
Card Validity Time
This certificate is valid for 5 years, after which the driver must take a training course to renew it. The renewal courses are one-time courses, that is, there are no renewal courses for passenger or freight drivers. In this sense, the renewal course is to renew the certificate that you already had.
When is it not necessary to apply for the CAP Card?
If you are a non-commercial driver, that is, you drive as an unpaid volunteer for emergency services, you do not need the CAP card. Similarly, you do not need to apply for the CAP card if:
- You drive with a maximum speed of no more than 45 km / h.
- You lead for the services of the Armed Forces, civil protection, firefighters and the Security Forces and Corps.
- Driving is not part of your main occupation. For example, a merchant who uses a truck to transport his materials
- You are undergoing road tests for technical improvement, repair or maintenance purposes.
- You are in practical classes aimed at obtaining a driving license or certificate of professional aptitude.
- You transport material or equipment for the use of the driver in the exercise of his profession, provided that driving the vehicle does not represent the main activity of said driver.
Armored vehicles are not among the exceptions included in art. 2 of RD 1032/2007. In this sense, the drivers of said vehicles must apply for the CAP Card as required by the general rule. Which establishes that the driver must have a type C driving license. Therefore, when driving on a public road, said driver will need to have the training required by the CAP.
This certificate and the qualification card are the only valid supporting documents for the possession of compulsory training. The fact of taking the course cannot be considered sufficient for the purposes of the possession of said certificate, therefore no document referring to said completion can be valid.
We hope we have helped you learn more about the CAP card, as well as have guided you so that you can apply for it without major inconvenience and enjoy its excellent benefits!
Thanks for reading!
Artículos relacionados que te pueden interesar