Any citizen in Spain who receives a traffic fine must know what the mechanisms are to make the corresponding payment. In this article you will know How to Pay a Fine, under different modalities.
Read this article because at some point you may need to know about it. Learn about the modalities, conditions and other information of interest.
Pay a Penalty online
Today technology encompasses almost all aspects of modern life and has made life more practical and comfortable. In this aspect that we deal with here, the procedures and procedures can be made much easier if we manage it online.
One of the procedures that are most done in this way is precisely the payment of traffic fines. The process is simple and fast, so it has become a preferred form of payment to do it virtually.
The General Directorate of Traffic of Spain has conditioned its internet platform so that Spanish and foreign citizens can carry out different procedures through the web portal.
Below the indications of the step by step to make the payment of fines through the internet:
- At first requires a debit or credit card (Maestro, visa or Mastercard).
- Has to know the file number of the fine.
- Enter the electronic headquarters of the General Directorate of Traffic (DGT).
- Locate in the different tabs the one that says “Fines”.
- Hover over “Fines”.
- Several sections are displayed, the first of them is that of “Pay your fine”.
- You must choose how to pay the fine online: with Personal Password or without Personal Password.
- On the page where you indicate everything related to the payment of the fine, you can choose to pay the amount corresponding to the fine according to:
- With Personal Password, you can check the penalties you have, you can also review those of other people. You can pay your fines online.
- Without prior identification, you can make the payment of the fine only with the file number of the fine and the date of notification of the fine.
Payment of the fine online without prior identification
To pay the fine online without prior identification, you must:
- Make the selection of this option and fill in the fields that are required.
- If you have several fines pending payment, you just have to click on the symbol more (+) and proceed to pay.
- When all the data has been registered you must click on Continue.
- Immediately, a screen is displayed where you are asked for your debit or credit card details.
- Enter the data and voila, you have already made the payment of the fine online.
Payment of the fine online with the password
You must select the option to pay the fine online with the password and then a screen is displayed in which you must choose what type of password you should use to make the identification:
- The DNI electronic or electronic certificate.
- The key PIN have been previously registered.
- Also, the permanent key.
In case of entering with the electronic DNI, you will see on the screen the pending fines. You can pay all the fines you want, you just have to fill in the requested information and also the credit card information.
What you need to know if you are going to pay the fine online:
- Has to have a debit or credit card.
- It is essential that you know the file number of the fine and the date of the notification of this.
- Likewise, the fine has a QR code that has all the data required to make the corresponding payment.
- It is not necessary that the fine has been committed by you, someone else can make the payment.
- It is important that you know that when making the payment online, this operation does not generate any cost.
Other Alternatives to Paying a Fine
Regarding the optional alternatives to pay a fine other than doing it online, there are the following:
This is a payment method that is extremely effective, below are the characteristics of this payment method:
- If the service is automated, you can make the payment any day and without time restriction.
- Make the payment by phone, is by calling 0600 and through the use of the debit or credit card. You can do it like this:
- Attention is automatic and is very accessible in an uninterrupted schedule, 24 hours a day, every day of the year.
- It will be attended by a specialized executive.
- The service is from Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. without interruption and on Saturdays from 90:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Nap abroad and wants to communicate through the phone number
- If you want to have all the information about the number, please do so here.
The other payment alternative available for the payment of fines in Spain is in person:
- You can go to Caixabank branches and ATMs and pay with cards or cash, with a schedule from Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Also, you can go to Post OfficeYou can also pay with cards or cash, paying an additional fee of 2.25 euros plus 1.50% of the amount of the fine.
- Likewise, you can make the payment at the Headquarters or Traffic Offices, you can do it by debit and credit card. In these offices they do not accept payment in cash.
- Make payment with Agents of the Civil Guard, You can pay it at the time of the offense by debit card and credit card. In this case, the prompt payment discount is applied.
Pay a Fine: Who Can Make the Payment?
To make the payment of a fine in Spain, this aspect of Who can make the payment? It is very important that you know this in case you are absent or cannot do it yourself.
Making the payment of a fine, as you have seen while reading the article, is something extremely simple to do. Therefore, This payment can be made by the person who has the proper authorization to pay.
A notarized power of attorney or authorization is not required, you must have the authorization forms that the General Directorate of Traffic makes available to those who require it.
You must enter the link to download the forms and use them properly. They are called seizure record.
Conditions for Paying a Fine
Regarding conditions to pay a fine, it is necessary that the amount established for the payment of the fines is established in the SIA Code 202324, and according to Royal Decree 320/194.
It is important that you know that canceling in the corresponding period can benefit you, but this will not happen if you make the payment outside the established period. Here are the lapses:
- If you pay within the first 20 continuous days from the day you received the penalty, you receive a 50% discount of the total to pay.
- If you make the payment between the 21st and the 45th inclusive, you have to pay 100% of the fine.
- In case of making the payment after the 46th day, then the State Tax Administration Agency is in charge of the collection and must pay an additional 20% to the total amount of the fine.
As you can realize paying on time, it is always the best, obtaining economic benefits and avoiding greater evils of a legal tax type.
The General Directorate of Traffic gives you the alternative of filing an allegation Due to the fine received, if you want to do so, you have two conditions, namely:
- If you make the payment within the first 20 days and get the discount, you cannot file arguments for the fine.
- If you file the claim and lose it, even if it is in the period to pay, automatically lose the benefit of 50% discount.
What happens if you are fined as a foreigner?
For some time, foreign drivers who did not comply with traffic regulations in Spain went unpunished, unless they were notified at the time of the offense.
What happened was that the fines did not reach the address of the foreign driver who had committed the offense.
This problem was solved by the Community Directive 2011 / EU of the European Parliament, whose objective is to facilitate cross-border exchange in the field of road safety. This turned out to be a great advance, since the member countries can access the Vehicle Registries of each of the countries, locate the offending driver and manage the fine.
In Spain this standard was activated in 2015 through the Legislative Royal Decree 6/2015 dated October 30. The Decree updates the Traffic Law and the Circulation of Motor Vehicles and Road Safety.
Currently, all the countries of the European Union exchange information related to information on traffic offenses. Denmark, Ireland and the United Kingdom are the exceptions.
What happens if I don’t pay the fine?
The offending citizens who do not want to pay or have not been able to pay the traffic fine, either for any of the reasons, speeding, improper parking, among others.
Most fines have the discount for prompt paymentIn this way, the rate that is reduced at the time of paying the debt.
Then, of the 21 days of the corresponding period, you can also appeal the fine as explained before, presenting the pertinent allegations and the evidence deemed necessary up to 30 days after receiving the fine.
After that period, either by carelessness or mistake, the payment has been made, or it does not intend to pay the fine, then, the period called executive route begins. If the offender has not made prompt payment in the corresponding period and has not appealed the fine, the sanction becomes final and the fine receives a 5% surcharge. This happens automatically and without the need for the offender to be notified.
When the period has elapsed, it is then the Tax Agency that is in charge of the situation presented. It is they who make the notification that is known as an enforcement order, a document that indicates that the fine is applied with a 10% surcharge and a new payment period is established.
After the period, you still do not pay, a new notification is made, this time with a 20% surcharge in addition, a new term to pay. Once this means of the enforcement order has been exhausted, the matter becomes complicated and the citizen is informed of the seizure procedure by means of notification.
When the Tax Agency begins the seizure it does it with the easiest assets to liquidate, money in declared bank accounts, then it goes to rights and short-term values, then to salaries and pensions. Finally, the seizure on real estate and finally on income and interest.
It is best to make the corresponding payment to avoid multiplying or tripling. There is a remote possibility that the fine prescribes, for that to happen you must wait a period of four years.
Artículos relacionados que te pueden interesar