Let’s talk about How to pay the IBI, that is, the Real Estate Tax (IBI). We are talking about a very simple job that can be carried out by different means, but that must be done in a mandatory way for taxpayers who own a house, a commercial apartment, a garage or any other real estate.
For this reason, today we will be explaining the different ways you have to pay, as well as the step by step of how to do it online, and how to do it for the first time and after the deadline. Additionally, we will explain what the IBI is and how to check your receipts. If you are one of the people who has to pay this tax, keep reading!
Possible Means to Pay the IBI
Let’s start by talking about the Possible Means to Pay the IBI, so that you can choose carefully which one suits you best and which one will be more comfortable for you. You will find that it is a procedure that you can carry out in person, but also online or by phone.
However, this varies depending on where the real estate is located. Some municipalities have more options than others in terms of managing certain procedures, so we will try to be as general as possible in this regard.
- By Internet. Certain municipalities have the option of paying the IBI online, as in Madrid. You just have to enter the procedures section and see if you have the corresponding option.
- Face-to-face. You can also do the procedure in person, at the offices set up for it. In Madrid, the procedure is done at the OAIC offices or at the Citizen Service offices. In Barcelona, tax payments can be made at the kiosks for procedures and services.
- By phone. Yes, you can also call the Citizenship Service Line and make your payment, at number 010. If you are outside of Barcelona, call 931 537 010, and if you are in Madrid 915 298 210. You pay with a Visa credit or debit card , MasterCard, Maestro or Visa Electron.
- Finally, you can do it from any Collaborating Financial Entity. These are: Banc Sabadell, BBVA, Bankia, Banco Santander and Caixabank. You can make the payment at their offices or from electronic banking. Even from Telephone Banking in Madrid.
As you can see, you have no excuses not to pay. In fact, you also have the option to do the direct debit, at least in Madrid, so that the payment is made alone, two weeks after the voluntary period. It is carried out in the Domiciliations section or in the Citizen Service Offices in Madrid.
In the end, our recommendation is that you enter the web portal of your city council and see what options are available for this procedure. Again, we will explain what you should do, but in the same way you must confirm if it applies to your specific municipality.
How to pay the IBI online?
Now that you know all the avenues you can use, let’s talk about How to Pay the IBI Online. It is a very simple procedure and the best thing is that you can do it from the comfort of your home, office or from wherever you are when you decide to do it.
In this sense, the City of Madrid It is the one that has this procedure enabled with easy access. Others such as Barcelona and Valencia have the option of making the payment of municipal taxes with a card or with a charge to an account online with the authorized banks that we mentioned in the previous section. Specifically in its sections of Payments.
So, having said that, we proceed to explain step by step what you should do.
- First of all, you must enter the website of the City Council where your real estate is located and registered.
- Once there, you must go to the payment section, either for taxes or receipts (in Vigo).
- In the of Valencia is in the menu Procedures and Procedures > Municipal Taxes > Municipal Tax Payment. Click on the appropriate bank and enter your details to pay.
- In the of Barcelona, the payment of taxes is made in Payments> Payment by card or bank account debit. Instructions will appear there. Likewise, you will get the option to make the direct debit.
- Finally, in the of Madrid You just have to enter the link that we leave you. Once there, click Process Online and then in Access to my Folder.
- Have the requirements at hand. You will need your credit / debit card or your digital certificate from the banks where you are going to pay. Likewise, you will need your receipt or tribute document as well as your card number.
- Then you must fill out a form. In this you must enter the reference, the amount, ID or CIF, and so on. When you’re done, click
- Proceed to enter your bank account information or your card number, and voila!
- As a result of the process, you will have made the payment of a municipal tax or the IBI tax.
Again, the procedure can vary a bit from town hall to town hall. Read the page very well until you can see where the tax payment procedures are carried out and follow the instructions that appear on the screen. Once you pay, don’t forget to print or save your voucher.
Pay the IBI for the First Time
In the event that you are going to do the IBI Payment for the First Time, then the procedure is somewhat different. In this case, the procedure is not done online or in any other way. Why? We will explain it to you below.
If you are acquiring the real estate, then you must approach the town hall office to communicate the change of owner or registration, so that it can do the necessary management to link you as the new owner on the receipt of the Real Estate Tax (IBI).
Once you do this, then you should wait for the notification from the town hall. This will specify the amount you must pay each year, the payment methods available to you and the voluntary period you have to do it. All this is notified in the year that you must pay the tax.
Keep in mind that the modification of ownership it is only assumed as effective when so communicated by the city council. That is when you must make the payment, being you the owner. Usually the payment is due in the coming year taking into account the moment in which the transfer of ownership was made.
In fact, the 2020 voluntary deadline is from October 1 to November 30. After this, if the payment is direct debit, it is made automatically two weeks later (15 days).
Pay the IBI Out of Term
The Pay the IBI Out of Term It has a series of consequences, which you must take into account at all times. We will explain what implications it entails and we will also indicate how you can do it if you do not have the money in the next section.
If you were late in payment, you will have to face a monetary penalty. In simple words, you will have to pay more than what you had to pay before. But how much exactly? The surcharges, depending on the time that elapses without you paying the balance owed, go like this:
- When the amount of the debt is paid once the voluntary payment term has ended and before receiving the notification of the enforcement order, an executive recharge of 5% of the principal value is made.
- Once the taxpayer receives the notification and only if he pays before the deadline of the indicated period, you must additionally pay a 10% recharge to the main payment.
- In the rest of the cases the surcharge is 20%.
If only 5% is reached, then it is not necessary to file a payment letter. In the event that the time is longer, then the presentation of this letter is necessary.
The payment of the 10% surcharge occurs between three and six months, while the 20% is when the debt is maintained for more than six months, usually.
In the Madrid city hall, if you click on More Information, you will see the option to make the payment after the deadline
Can I Pay in Installments?
On the other hand, sometimes you can Pay the Installment IBI. We say sometimes because not all municipalities have the option to request this resource enabled. Obviously, it is especially beneficial for those people who do not have the ability to pay the tax.
The city councils of Madrid and Bilbao have this option. You simply have to request it, make an à la carte payment and divide the amount into 12 monthly payments.
To request it, you must go to the town hall offices or by phone by calling them. Next, you will be given a series of instructions so that you can make the payment in this way.
Artículos relacionados que te pueden interesar