In this article we leave you the Requirements for Donating Blood. Donating blood is a totally voluntary and humanitarian act. It is wanting to help people whether you know them or not.
You will also find information on the steps to follow, the places where you can donate blood, and some recommendations to take into account and make the donation process as easy as possible.
What are the requirements to donate blood in Spain?
Every June 14 of each year, World Blood Donor Day is celebrated. Donating blood in Spain has been a lifesaver, since many people have joined to help people in need in a voluntary, responsible and concerned way.
For this reason, this article exposes the Requirements for Donating Blood in Spain. Carrying out this humanitarian work allows one to be part of the statistics that are currently true. The number of blood donations in Spain has settled in recent times, it has decreased in relation to 2011.
The invitation is to participate in this volunteer work that saves lives on a daily basis. However, before making the decision to be part of this volunteer group, it is necessary to know and comply with all the Requirements for Donating Blood, which are:
- Be of legal age (over 18 years).
- Have a weights of more than 50 kilos.
- Not presenting or having presented pathologies that can be spread through blood: Tumors, AIDS, malaria, hepatitis B or C.
- Have breakfast on the day of the donation.
- Ladies have the possibility to donate blood three times a year maximum. And the gentlemen up to four times a year. However, with regard to plasma donation, this time can be reduced to fifteen days. What offers the possibility of donate blood up to 24 times a year.
- The last blood donation made should have been made at least eight weeks before.
- Undergo a simple medical check-up, which includes: Knowing your hemoglobin level, taking your blood pressure and answering a series of questions about your health.
- Present the DNI (National identity document) or the residence card.
Steps to donate blood
The first thing to know is that blood is not manufactured. Which means that it is obtained from all the people who voluntarily donate it. This blood is essential, both for emergencies and for operations. Blood prescribes, therefore it cannot be kept for an indeterminate time.
To donate blood it is necessary to prepare in advance. You can follow the steps below:
- Get adequate sleep the night before donation.
- Attend the donation after eating low-fat foods.
- Do not smoke for at least an hour before to make the blood donation.
- In the case of having a low level of iron in the body, it can be prepared by eating foods rich in iron such as: fish, eggs, liver, red meat. Or also, nuts that contain iron and legumes.
The donated blood is analyzed, and if any abnormality is observed, the blood unit is destroyed. Then the donor is informed about the result of the analysis, and then a medical follow-up is carried out.
On the other hand, the blood bag is separated into its different elements. In other words, blood is not directly transfused from the donor to the recipient. Rather, it undergoes a procedure where it is separated, and three elements are obtained:
- Red Blood Cells: It is used in operations, bleeding from traffic accidents, in organ transplants and treatment for anemia.
- Platelets: It is used in patients with pathologies such as leukemia, cancer. Also in bone marrow transplants, bleeding, coagulation disorders, among others.
- Plasma: It is the liquid material from which a quantity of proteins is acquired, for the treatment of pathologies that refer to coagulation. Also, for infectious diseases and burns. Plasma is not transfusedInstead, it is sent to laboratories to be converted into medicine. These drugs are: Gamma globulins, clotting elements and albumin.
The aforementioned drugs, when manufactured, are sent to hospital pharmacies for distribution. These must reach the hands of the people who need them, in order to provide them with optimal treatment.
In this way, each blood donor has the opportunity to benefit multiple people. This is because the elements that make up blood are used separately. Therefore, the more blood donors voluntarily join, the more people can benefit from this process.
Benefits of Donating Blood
Being clear the Requirements for Donating Blood. Here are the benefits of donating blood:
- Optimize blood flow. Donating blood contributes to avoid hypercoagulation, and that the blood in the body circulates easily.
- Stabilizes the level of iron in the body. When donating blood, about one gram of iron is lost for every unit of blood that is donated. Sometimes this can be an advantage if you have a lot of iron in your body.
- Blood donors for humanitarian reasons, they manage to live a little more years than people who don’t donate. This is due to the psychological nature of humanitarian actions, rather than for medical reasons.
- Talk about our health, since when a medical check-up is carried out, it serves as a way to monitor the state of health of people, allowing to exclude pathologies such as HIV, syphilis or hepatitis.
- Renew the body. When the body recognizes a drop in the blood level, it produces new cells, which renews the blood.
Where can you donate blood in Spain?
To become a blood donor, you must attend blood donation sites in the municipality where you reside. This information can be verified online. Where the places established by the Ministry of Health of each community appear, both fixed (public hospitals) and mobile and other collaborating entities.
Further, the Red Cross has the disposition some mobile units, which are located in different places where large numbers of people circulate. Likewise, private hospitals have units of their property for donating blood.
What to do before donating?
As already detailed in the first point of this article, the Requirements for Donating Blood they are pretty easy. However, the procedure that must be done before donating blood is also simple. It is a process that takes a few minutes, which will help save the city of many people.
Therefore, before donating, the following must be complied with:
- Having eaten previously.
- Not having ingested alcohol during the hours leading up to donation.
- Get a medical check-up, which is done at the donation site where you attend.
- Fill out a questionnaire with questions about personal data and health situation.
On the other hand, while the donation takes place, the following occurs:
- It is a procedure that lasts approximately between twenty minutes to half an hour. The blood container fills up in about ten minutes.
- The 450 cc bag that contains the blood is obtained through a needle similar to that of a common blood test.
- The extraction of blood is done in tubes for the analysis of the same. This test specifies blood group, syphilis, blood cell count, AIDS serology and hepatitis B and C.
Certainly, it is essential to comply with the Requirements for Donating Blood. However, it is also important to follow the following recommendations after making the donation:
- Apply pressure to the area of the puncture by some minutes, thus preventing a bruise from appearing.
- Take rest and replace fluids. It is advisable to drink plenty of fluids in the next 24 hours.
- Do not smoke and do not drink alcohol.
- Do not expose yourself to high temperatures.
- Avoid doing physical exercises high intensity.
- Do not use heavy vehicles.
The results of the tests will be sent to the address of the donor. If it was the first time to donate blood, and it was done in one of the donation sites of the Department of Health, the card that accredits you as a donor will be sent to you. Through the web portal More extensive information can be obtained from the Red Cross in Madrid.
There are some doubts regarding whether while taking medications or if you have suffered from any disease, it is possible to donate blood. This will depend on the disease you have had and other factors. The doctor assigned to do the previous checkup will determine whether or not the person can donate blood.
For this reason, it is important go to one of the donation places, and obtain information on whether to donate and notify medical personnel of any health conditions. You must take into account the conditions that appear in the questionnaire, answer the questions about health properly and sign.
Despite the advances that currently exist, there are still people who create myths about it. Echoing false information and that they do not make it impossible to donate blood, such as: Ingesting contraceptives, vitamin complexes. Or also have menstruation at the time of donating, take aspirin or ibuprofen. Since this depends on what the medicine is being taken for.
Since you know the Requirements for Donating BloodWe invite you to bring them together so that you begin to participate in this selfless work. We hope you have the commitment and open yourself to the possibility of saving many lives.
You just have to contact the competent body, present your Requirements for Donating Blood and feel the satisfaction of doing good for those who need it.
Artículos relacionados que te pueden interesar