If you need to request the certificate of occupancy, stay with us. In this article we offer you details about the requirements for the certificate of occupancy, the associated costs for obtaining it, its usefulness and much more.
The certificate of occupancy it’s a certificate certifying that a house, apartment or property is in acceptable condition, as required by law to be occupied. This document is issued by the town hall or municipality. In this sense, this organization requires some requirements to deliver the certificate, which will be subject to the community where the property is located.
On the other hand, to obtain the identity card it is It’s important to consider that in addition to a visit from a specialist who performs the home inspection and checks that everything is in order. It is necessary that the home meets the minimum habitability requirements, which are indicated in the regulations and are mentioned in the following section.
What are the Requirements for the Certificate of Habitability?
The requirements for the certificate of occupancy, are framed in conditions that a property must have in order to be inhabited. Which is based on a group of regulations that guarantee that safe homes are built for the individuals who inhabit them.
That is why living without the aforementioned document is out of the law. Consequently, the sponsors are always careful to comply with this law, since if the dwellings do not have the habitability certificate, the contracts for rent or for sale are at risk of being annulled.
Now, the following are the requirements for the certificate of occupancy:
- The property must have a useful area of thirty-six (36) square meters, at least.
- The home must have a space dedicated to the dining room or living area, as well as a room and a space for cooking, as a minimum.
- A minimum height of two point five (2.5) meters is also required, less in the bathrooms and in the kitchen area. In these last two areas the height must be at least two point two (2.2) meters.
- It is stipulated that for no reason the areas of the house can be for commercial uses, or other activities that are not family rooms.
- As for the bathrooms in particular, they should not for any reason serve as access to other areas of the house.
- Also the areas of the house can be distributed as needed, taking into account that the kitchen and bathroom areas must have a door that separates them from the rest of the house.
- Likewise, minimum dimensions are determined for the bedrooms and for the living areas.
- In addition, there are minimum requirements to ensure that the common spaces between walkways are easily accessible for the safety of the inhabitants.
- Regarding the conditioning of the house, it must be equipped with hot and cold drinking water. In addition to sewage and sewage systems, for the evacuation of this, they must also have electrical service.
- Likewise, the kitchen must have at least a dishwasher, a cooking equipment, and it must also be equipped with an extraction system.
- The bathroom rooms must have at least: A sink, a toilet and a shower.
- It is also essential that houses have an area to wash and dry clothes.
How to request the Certificate of Habitability?
It is important to remember that get this document It is essential to rent or buy a home or property to be occupied. In this sense, requesting the identity card is a very simple procedure, since in most communities it can be done through the web. For this it is necessary:
- An application form.
- In addition, the payment receipt with the respective rate for the right to request.
- One (1) copy of the applicant’s DNI (Owner or authorized person), plus one (1) photocopy of the ownership document, or if applicable, the lease contract.
However, to obtain the identity card it is It’s important to consider that in addition to a visit from a specialist who performs the home inspection and checks that everything is in order. It is necessary that the home meets the minimum habitability requirements, which are indicated by the regulations and mentioned in the previous section.
Costs of the Certificate of Habitability
Now, the requirements and the process to request the certificate of habitability have already been mentioned, it is necessary to mention the details of the cost of the procedure.
In this sense, the prices of the procedure are mainly subject to the community where the property is located. However, in order to have a referential idea, the cost is estimated between ninety (90) and two thousand (2000) euros.
Who grants it?
The ID card granted by the city council. In this sense, this organization requires some requirements to deliver the certificate, which will be subject to the community where the property is located. On the other hand, it is important to mention that one of the most demanding communities for the granting of this document is Catalonia.
In this order of ideas, once the occupancy certificate has been obtained, it is important to know that it has a expiration time: Fifteen years. Once this time is up, the applicant should seek the services of an architectural professional. This authorized person must carry out a review of the property, to confirm that it complies with the legal requirements.
Then the architect will proceed to the preparation of a report of habitability that will send to the city council of the municipality. This body takes ninety days to grant the certificate of occupancy.
It is important to remember that according to legal regulations, not having a certificate of occupancy is a reason for any hiring of the property to be canceled. That is why it is very necessary to be attentive to the availability of said document.
On the other hand, if the report indicates that the property does not comply with the minimum conditions required by law. It is essential to make the suggested changes, so that in the next review the report is adjusted to the legal regulations.
Usefulness of the Certificate of Habitability
This document is used as certificate that grants legality of a property. In other words, it works as a demonstrative document that proves that the property is adjusted to the required legal conditions. All this with the purpose of making it manifest that it can be occupied. For what this document usually indicates, consider the following:
- The area of construction or used.
- That the property has a minimum number of stays.
- The property must have the health conditions required by law: ventilation, electricity, sewage or black water systems, extraction in the kitchen, among others.
- There are also conditions concerning the security of the property, among others.
Refering to validity of the ID, is subject to the community or municipality where the property is located and the type. However, in almost all municipalities the identity card has a minimum validity of ten (10) years.
Types of ID
It is important to mention that at the time of making the request of the habitability certificate, it should be considered that there are three (3) different types of certificates. That is why according to the laws, these documents are classified according to the time of construction of the property. In addition to construction attributes, such as those mentioned below:
- Certificate for new real estate or new work, in other words. These properties are occupied due to their new condition.
- The rehabilitation certificate. It differs from the previous one because this certificate is for properties that, although not new, have been significantly renovated with important changes in their structure.
- Another is the certificate for second-occupation properties, which are already inhabited and the renewal of the certificate is requested.
On the other hand, just as they have certificates of habitability that attest to the conditions of any property. There are also definitive certificates, which are granted to officially protected homes. In this sense, official protection houses are those that are built with the aim of being protected by the State. The latter agrees with the builder establishing a set of regulations to be complied with.
It is because of that the constructor initially makes the request for a provisional certificate and upon completion of the construction of the building they grant the definitive one.
However, this process may differ in each municipality, as well as the general requirements for each property of official protection to be granted the definitive identity card.
What is it?
The certificate of occupancy is a certificate certifying that a house, apartment, flat or property is in acceptable condition. All this is stipulated in national laws, with the purpose that the properties are certified as suitable to occupy.
Artículos relacionados que te pueden interesar