If you are interested in requesting asylum in Spain, you should know what the Requirements to Request Political Asylum. These are the ones that will allow you, to a certain extent, to achieve the objective of the procedure. Likewise, it is also important to know who can do it, and what are the advantages and disadvantages of living as a refugee.
The Political asylum it is an international law within the framework of human rights. These are people who go from their country of origin to another and request asylum because they are persecuted for political reasons where they come from. The approval of the application depends on some factors, as we will be seeing.
If you are interested in knowing everything about the request for political asylum in Spain, do not go! Today we will explain it to you point by point.
How can you request Political Asylum in Spain?
Regarding the procedure to request Political Asylum, the applicant will have a (1 month to submit the application. An exception is made if you enter the country legally, in which case you will have to present it before the term of stay expires. This request is made at Different places, being these:
- Immigration Offices.
- Foreign internment centers.
- Asylum and Refugee Office.
- Authorized Provincial Police Stations.
- Border posts of entry to Spanish territory.
The Ministry of Interior recommends making the prior appointment, so the steps you must follow are:
- Submit the application for protection, which you must do in person at the processing offices for foreign citizens. You can find them in their entirety by clicking here.
- Make an appointment in the virtual office of the Secretary of state. You just have to type Madrid, confirm the notice and select the procedure.
- Thus, you will be carrying out the process of interview, issuance and renewal of documents, at the Asylum and Refuge Office, in Madrid.
- When the interview and document delivery process is complete, you will be notified of your status as a political refugee.
It is important to know that if skip some document in the presentation of the case, it should be explained why. In addition, you will have the right to an interpreter, in the case of speaking another language.
Documents Needed to Request Political Asylum
The necessary documents are of vital importance, since they constitute part of the Requirements to request Political Asylum. You must take them into account at all times, without fail. Let’s see what they are:
- Application for Political Asylum.
- Photocopy of passport.
- If you do not have a passport, a photocopy of the travel document.
- Documents supporting the risk situation: press clippings, threatening letters, etc.
The main requirement being to be able to demonstrate the veracity of the precarious political situation that prevents the applicant from returning to their country of origin. As you will see, they are very basic requirements in resonance with the precarious situation of the applicants.
Who can do it?
The people who can apply for Political Asylum they are those capable of demonstrating that they are in serious danger in their country of origin. This can be for political, racial, religious, sexual orientation, nationality reasons … any reason protected by Art. 15 of the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms.
What they are looking for are well-founded reasons, which show the urgency of political protection. Some examples of the cases that are treated are:
- Evidence of physical or mental violence.
- Decree of penalties that evidence discrimination, for a disproportionate time, product of the denial of the right of a lawyer.
- All measures that imply discrimination, be they police, legislative, judicial or administrative.
- Discriminatory and disproportionate penalties for the crime. It also applies to prosecutions.
- Situations of a sexual nature that affect both adults and children.
- Prosecutions or penalties for not rendering military service, in relation to the measures provided for in art. 8 of Law 12/2009.
- Sentenced to death, torture, degradation or inhuman treatment,
It will be considered whether behind the actions or attacks are racial reasons (color, belonging to an ethnic group), religion (atheistic beliefs and of this nature), nationality and controversial political opinions. Likewise, threats of these kinds will be taken into account.
Advantages of Requesting Political Asylum in Spain
Some Advantages of requesting Political Asylum in Spain They must be taken into account, and that these constitute not only what you can enjoy with this status, but also the rights that will be legally awarded to you.
Let’s see what they are,
- You will enter the international protection system as an applicant for this right.
- You will be able to know the content of your file as an applicant.
- You can have access to a State Attorney (free of charge).
- You will be able to have access to an interpreter, if you require it.
- Your request may be communicated to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR-UN).
- All return, extradition or expulsion processes that may affect you will be suspended.
- You will have access to healthcare.
- You can enjoy certain social benefits.
- You have the right to stay in the country until your application has finished being processed. This is, of course, if there is no claim from an International Criminal Court or country of the European Union.
- The information you provide is confidential.
Once you acquire the status As a political refugee, you will be able to enjoy these advantages:
- Residence card.
- Authorization to work
- You will be free to circulate in the country.
- Issuance of identity documents and documents to travel.
- Cut in waiting to acquire Spanish nationality.
- State aid so that you can stay together with your family.
- Ability to train and work on internships.
- Ability to access different housing, social, health care services.
- Access to social assistance and education.
- The opportunity to know a new culture.
- The opportunity to create a family, to make friends, to form a safe life.
- You can acquire your red card to have all this.
As you can see, there are numerous advantages of being accepted for Political Asylum. Of course, this taking into account from the outset the Requirements to Request Political Asylum.
Disadvantages of Requesting Political Asylum in Spain
As there are advantages, there are also Disadvantages of requesting Political Asylum in Spain and anywhere else. These are reflected more as obligations, but you will understand.
Let’s see what they are,
- You should keep in touch with the Spanish authorities. In this way, they will be able to carry out their work during the procedure.
- You will have to register your address in the country, as well as any changes there may be.
- It will be an obligation to present all the evidence that attests or supports the information in the application.
- You will also have to submit previous applications for political asylum, previous addresses, travel documents… a lot of information.
- You will have to offer your fingerprints, subsequent taking of photos and statements.
- The process can take a considerable time.
- You must deliver your passport.
- If your application is not accepted you will have to leave the country. If you are denied it for the first time, you will have two days to return it for reconsideration; with the second negative you will have to go.
- Voluntary lies or omissions will lead to the interruption of the application and the opening of the file, if it is deemed necessary.
- You will not be able to return to your country home in good time.
- Sometimes you won’t be able to leave Europe.
- You will have regular appointments with the police once you obtain asylum.
It is very important to consider both the advantages and the disadvantages. The delay of the process can be a big inconvenience since you will be able to reside in the country, but if the answer that comes is negative, you will have to leave your friends, family … and all the life you built.
So keep all this in mind, analyze well if you enter within the Requirements to Request Political Asylum, before making the request. If your home country is in an economic depression, keep in mind that it might not be enough; there are requests from people in countries at war.
In the same way, it is always good to be positive when achieving your goals.
What is it?
The Political asylum it is something that countries grant, after consideration of the facts, to foreigners in a situation of imminent danger in their country of origin. It is protected by universal human rights.
The request is made in different offices authorized to do so, the main one being the Asylum and Refugee Office, located in Madrid. First, the request is made and then the pertinent interviews are carried out to evaluate the case, its veracity and treatment.
The results are given after the case has been analyzed. This analysis takes into account discriminatory, disproportionate penalties, inhuman treatment, torture or degradation. Likewise, political, racial, nationality, religious, etc., backgrounds are taken into account.
The advantages and disadvantages of political asylum with several, as you have seen. They are reflected more as obligations and rights, but without a doubt the purpose of protection is clear, and is to grant you greater ease during your stay, complying with a series of guidelines, but with many more opportunities than you had before. Without a doubt, you come out winning.
We hope we have helped you with the Requirements to Request Political Asylum.
Artículos relacionados que te pueden interesar