Do you want to live and work in the United States legally? You must process the Form I-817, which gives you the benefit of enjoying this condition for two years.
Here you have information about what the Form is for, what are the instructions to fill it out. As well as, what is the filing fee and where should you go? Don’t miss out on what we have here for you.
Form I-817 Format
With respect to Form I-817, at the beginning of it there is a space that should only be for USCIS use. Continuing, there is another box that has to be completed by a lawyer or representative accredited by BIA (if there is one). The parts that make up said Form are mentioned below:
- First part: Information about the person applying for family unit benefits.
- Second part: Biographical information.
- Third part: Basis for application.
- Fourth part: Information about the applicant’s partner relationship.
- Fifth part: Other information.
- Part Six: Applicant’s statement, contact information, statement, certification, and signature.
- Seventh: Contact information, certification and signature of the interpreter.
- Eighth Part: The contact information, statement and signature of the person who prepares this application, in the case of not being the applicant.
- Ninth: Place your signature on the employment authorization document.
- Tenth: Additional Information.
NOTE: This Form is entirely in English.
Instructions for Completing Form I-817
To fill the Form I-817, must comply with a series of guidelines, which facilitate its completion. This in order to have the information at hand and avoid mistakes. Therefore, the instructions are detailed below:
What is the purpose of Form I-817?
Use the Form I-817, Application for Family Unity Benefits, to request initial benefits under the Family Unity Program or to request an extension of said benefits. You must reside and submit the Form in the United States.
When must Form I-817 be filed?
- To ask for an initial profit or an extension of authorization to remain in the United States under the Family Unit.
- When applying for Family Unity Program benefits under section 301 of the Immigration Act of 1990 (IMMACT 90).
Eligibility for household benefits
The class of people eligible to apply for Family Unity benefits are listed below. Check the box in Part 3:
- On May 5, 1988, I was the spouse of a legalized alien under section 245A of the INA and I currently meet all necessary residency and other continuing eligibility requirements. If all of the above are applicable, select item number 1.a.
- On May 5, 1988, I was the unmarried child under the age of 21 of a person legalized under INA. section 245A, and I currently meet all necessary residency and other continuing eligibility requirements. If all of the above are applicable, select item number 1.b.
- Form I-817. On December 1, 1988, I was the spouse of an alien legalized as a Special Agricultural Worker under INA section 210, and I currently meet all necessary residency and other continuing eligibility requirements. If all of the above are applicable, select item number 1.c.
- On December 1, 1988, I was the unmarried child under the age of 21 of a person who was legalized as a Special Agricultural Worker under INA section 210, and I currently meet all necessary residency and other eligibility requirements. If all of the above apply, select item number 1.d. 5.
- I am the spouse of a person who is eligible and has an adjustment pending application for adjustment of status,
or was granted an adjustment of status under section 1104 of Public Law 106-5534, the LIFE Act. I entered the United States before December 1, 1988, and was residing in the United States on that date. If all of the above apply, select Item number 1.g.
When a legalized alien becomes a US citizen, their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 will be eligible to apply for an immigrant visa, or to adjust their status as lawful permanent residents.
If you are eligible to apply for an immigrant visa abroad, you must follow the requirements of the US Department of State.Apply for adjustment of status, must follow INA and 8 CFR requirements.
- USCIS provides forms free of charge through the USCIS website. To view, print or complete our forms, you must use the latest version of Adobe Reader, which you can download for free via this link. You can also call the USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283 and request that an email be sent to you with the Form.
- Each application must be duly signed and filed. For all signatures on this application, USCIS will not accept a stamped or typed name in place of a signature. If you are under 14 years of age, your parent / guardian can sign the application on your behalf.
- Must complete a Form I-817 separately, for each person who needs to apply for Family Unity benefits.
- Each application must be accompanied by the appropriate filing fee and biometric services fee (if applicable).
- At the time of filing, you must submit all supporting evidence and documentation listed in section What evidence? USCIS may require you to appear for an interview or provide fingerprints, photograph, and / or signature at any time to verify your identity.
- After USCIS receives the application and makes sure it is complete, it informs you in writing if you need to attend a biometric services appointment. If one is an appointment necessary, the notice will provide the location of your local or designated USCIS Center (ASC) application support office and the date and time of your appointment. If the person is currently abroad, indicate to contact the US Embassy, US Consulate, or USCIS office outside of the United States to schedule an appointment.
Continuation of Instructions
- When providing biometric data, an oath must be signed at the appointment reaffirming that:
- The solicitor provided or authorized all information in the app.
- You have reviewed and understood all the information contained and submitted with your application.
- All this information was complete, was true and correct at the time of presentation.
- If you miss your biometric services appointment, USCIS may deny your application.
- Submit legible photocopies of requested documents, unless the instructions specifically state that you must submit an original document. USCIS may request an original document at the time of submission or at any time during the processing of an application, petition or application. If USCIS requests an original document from you, it will be returned to you after USCIS determines that you no longer need your original.
- If you send a document with information in a foreign language, you must also send it in full English. The translator must sign a certification that the English translation is complete and accurate, and that he or she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English. The certification must include the signature. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) recommends that the certification contain the translator’s printed information: Name, date, and contact information of the translator.
- Type or print legibly with black ink.
- If space is needed additional information to complete any item within this application, use the space provided in part 10 (additional information), or attach a separate sheet of paper. Write or print the name and alien registration number (A number, if applicable) at the top of each sheet. Also, indicate the page number, the part number and the article number to which it refers; and sign and date each sheet.
- Answer all questions completely and accurately. If a question does not apply to the applicant (for example, if you have never been married and the question is “Provide the name of your current spouse.” Type or print “N / A”.
- If the answer to a question that requires a numerical answer is zero or none (for example, “How many children do you have” or “How many times have you left the United States”), type or print “None” .
NOTE: If original documents are sent when USCIS does not require or request them, the original documents can be destroyed immediately upon receipt.
What is it for?
Through the Form I-817, a specific process is followed to expand the advantages that exist, or if you want to acquire these for the first time. Through this procedure, you have the opportunity to reside and work in the United States, for two (2) years if the petition is consigned.
Where to File Form I-817?
The submission guidelines should be read very carefully. In addition, enter the portal of Directions for Direct Submission, and thus be able to know where the Form I-817. It is important to point out that all the spaces on the Form must be filled in, otherwise it will not be received.
Here are some suggestions for submitting the Family Unity Benefit Request Form:
Part No. 1. Information about the Applicant
- Birth date.
- The mailing address in the United States.
Part N ° 3. Information about the Civil Status
- Facts about spouse or parents (last name).
- Information about the spouse or parents (date of birth).
NOTE: Do not forget that the application must be signed, since in case of not signing it will be returned and rejected.
The filing fee of the Form I-817, it is $ 600 dollars. Payment of $ 85 dollars for biometric services is required for each applicant from fourteen (14) years of age. The fee can be paid with a money order, a cashier’s check, or a personal check.
Likewise, it can be paid with a credit card using Form G-1450 for Authorization of Credit Card Transactions. When paying by check, it must be made payable to the US Department of Homeland Security. Take into consideration that service centers cannot be managed with a credit card.
When the payment is sent, is to agree to a payment for government services. The amounts of consignment and biometric services are conclusive and not returned, regardless of the fact that the request is taken, or it is withdrawn.
What is Form I-817?
The Form I-817, is the one with which preliminary benefits are requested, subject to the Family Unity Program. Through it, you can also request privileges regarding the benefits it provides.
If you want to receive notifications by email or text message, about whether the Form was admitted in a Secure Location (Lockbox), you must complete Form G-1145, Electronic Notification of Application Acceptance. This should be stapled to the first page of the petition.
Do not think about it anymore and manage the Form I-817, since with this procedure you will have the peace of mind of living and working in the United States in a legal way for a specific period of time.
You have the necessary information to do so, therefore it meets the corresponding requirements. Take advantage of this opportunity that the country of opportunities offers you, in order to improve your quality of life.
Artículos relacionados que te pueden interesar