The form I-929 is a manual of great interest to immigrants. Especially for those who want to apply for immigration benefits for a relative who has never obtained U nonimmigrant status.
If you want to know more about the subject, We invite you to continue reading this article! Below we will explain in detail what it is for, how to request the form I-929, what are the application fees and more.
Form I-929 format
In the first place, the format of the form is in a document in PDF format, which consists of a total of seven (7) pages. It is important to note that the spreadsheet is divided into seven (7) parts and in turn, they are divided by boxes.
Now, the first box is for the exclusive use of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. Where an official will be in charge of filling in that space respectively.
Although it is true, each box corresponds to the information that the applicant must provide according to what the form issued by the USCIS requires. For example, personal information about the foreign relative who wishes to acquire immigration benefits through the U-1 nonimmigrant petition.
Once the petitioner knows and studies the structure of the form, it will allow him to speed up the filling process. Similarly, at the bottom of the Web page of the USCIS in the section of the form I-929 There are two documents in PDF format, one of them is the net form and the other is the instructions to fill it out.
Instructions for Completing Form I-929
Although it is true, the USCIS website provides a document in PDF format with the instructions for the correct completion of the Form I-929. However, there are general and specific instructions corresponding to each section of the worksheet.
The petitioner must begin by indicating for whom he is requesting the form, be it his spouse, children or parents. Then, you must proceed to part number 1 of the document, where you must fill in the empty boxes with your personal data. For example: full name, home address, and a secure home address that is different from the one mentioned above.
Consecutively, Part 2 of the form I-929 corresponds to the relevant information and personal data of the person who wishes to obtain immigration benefits. Among them: full name, date of birth, address of residence, etc.
The third part of the form corresponds to the information on the foreign children of the relative who is processing the application. In the same way, it must reflect the personal data of the same, such as: zip code, full name, date of birth.
Then Part 4 refers to information processing. The petitioner must select one of the options that appear in the Form I-929. Similarly, Part 5 is where the applicant must sign the form and must certify that the evidence that he is attaching with the application is completely genuine.
Finally, box 6 corresponds to the last part of the form, which refers to the preparer’s information, in case it is a different person than the one signing in the section above.
One of the most important instructions is that the applicant must fill in the form in black ink. If the petitioner wishes to complete the form digitally and print it or, failing that, if he wishes to fill it in in writing, it must still be in black ink.
What is Form I-929 Good for?
The purpose of the form I-929, is that a qualified relative of a U-1 nonimmigrant can apply for immigration benefits through a family member who never had U nonimmigrant status.
Clearly, you will need to provide the signed form with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), in addition to the filing fee. Likewise, the applicant must also provide adequate documents to support the request. It is important to note that the documents submitted must be translated into English.
Where to apply?
The petitioner must submit the application through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. Remember that the USCIS is responsible for providing completely free forms to applicants (the only amount to cancel is the filing fees).
The applicant must go to the following address:
- USCIS Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, VT 05479-0001
Indeed, the filing fees do not apply to all forms. There are some in which biometric data has no cost.
Who Can Request Form I-929?
A petitioner may request the form from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services on behalf of a family member who does not have U nonimmigrant status. And, that in turn, wishes to immigrate to the United States.
In this way, the person (you), as the petitioner must prove that:
- You have legal permanent residence or, failing that, you have a pending Form I-485.
- If you do not have the option listed above, you must demonstrate the application for permanent residence registration or adjustment of status as a U-1 nonimmigrant. (Victim of criminal activity).
- Your foreign relative is eligible for immigrant classification based on their relationship to you.
- The petitioner (you) or your foreign relative can establish that you will suffer serious consequences or hardship if you are not allowed to stay or enter the United States.
- You can demand discretion in favor of your foreign relative.
- Finally, you must submit a separate petition for each eligible family member.
What Documents Are Needed To Prove There Is A Family Relationship?
The petitioner requesting Form I-929 for his foreign relative must demonstrate that there is indeed a family connection. For more details, go to following link, there you will find the specific documents that the petitioner must present as the case may be.
How to Download Form I-929?
Form I-929 can be completed in two ways, which the applicant can choose. Regardless of which modality the petitioner chooses, he must also download the form.
Next we will mention the steps to follow to download the spreadsheet.
- Go to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website.
- Select the “Forms” statement.
- Click on the “All forms” tab.
- In the search bar enter “Petition for Qualifying Relative of a U-1 Nonimmigrant.”
- In that section of the page, at the bottom of it you will find two documents in PDF format.
- Select the document “Form I-929 (PDF).”
- The form will automatically appear on the screen.
- At the top right of the document is a download icon.
- Select the item.
- Save the document.
- Print it out.
General Instructions of the Form
- Type or print legibly in black ink.
- In case you need additional space to complete any article. You must attach a supplementary sheet with the full name and registration number found at the top of each sheet.
- When attaching the supplementary sheets, you must indicate the number of the item you are answering and sign each one. The sheet must also contain the date.
- Questions must be answered completely and accurately. If any item does not apply in your case it does not apply, you must leave the space blank.
- Each petition must be signed and filed.
- Photocopies of a signed petition or typewritten name in lieu of a signature is NOT acceptable.
According to the website of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service, the filing fee corresponds to a cost of $ 230.00 (two hundred thirty) US dollars.
Once he Applicant submits payment, you are agreeing to pay for a service provided by the United States government. Thus, filing fees and biometrics are non-refundable. Regardless of any action the USCIS takes on your petition or in the event that the petitioner decides to withdraw the petition.
That is, if you decide to withdraw the petition, the USCIS will not be responsible for making a refund of the canceled amount corresponding to the filing fee or the service provided by the United States government.
What is Form I-929?
In conclusion, the form I-929 It is a legal document provided by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. This form allows a petitioner to apply for immigration benefits for a foreign relative, which may also include their children.
On the other hand, the form I-929 It is also known as “Petition for a Qualifying Relative of a U-1 Nonimmigrant ″. You can also find an edition date corresponding to September 17, 2019.
Likewise, at the bottom of the form pages you will find the edition date and instructions. Dates are written in month / day / year format. If you need any help with filling out the form, you can request help from USCIS customer service.
We hope we have helped you! Thank you for reading us.
Artículos relacionados que te pueden interesar