In order to enjoy a tasty vacation outside of their country of origin, all citizens must apply for a document as important as the passport. They will wonder How to pay for the American passport?
Below we will explain each case of how to obtain your passport. We invite you to continue reading, so that you can take note.
Pay the American Passport: Prices
The fees to pay for the American passport are the following:
16 years or older
- If you are an adult 16 years of age and older and you are applying for the first time, you must cancel $ 110 for passport book, $ 30 for the passport card and the passport book with the card, has a value of $ 140.
- The execution charge in the 3 cases is $ 35.
- Application fees and execution fees are paid separately.
Adult but want to renew
Adult renewal applicants residing in the United States must submit their application by mail
- The passport book has a cost of $ 110.
- The passport card has a $ 30 value.
- And if you want both, both passport and card, you have a cost of $ 140.
Under 16 years old
All children must apply for a passport in person. Application fees and fees are paid separately
- The passport book has a $ 80 value.
- The passport card has a cost of $ 15.
- And if you want both, both passport and card, has a value of $ 35.
- The execution charge has a cost of $ 35 all three.
- If you want to opt for an expedited service, you must cancel $ 60.
- For deliveries of 1-2 days there is an additional charge of $ 17.13.
- For the archive search, the additional charge is $ 150.
Pay the American Passport: Payment Methods
Citizens who wish to submit an application at a post office, should make an appointment directly with the USPS page.
For the fee and any additional service charges, you can make checks (personal, certified, teller, traveler) and money orders payable through the “Department of State of the United States.”
It is important to note that they do not accept credit or debit cards.
If you are going to request or renew in a passport agency the fees can be canceled with:
- With credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover) and debit cards that display the logo of both Visa and Mastercard.
- Checks (personal, certified, cashiers, travelers), payable by the “Department of the United States.”
- Postal orders in the United States, international, currency exchanges, payable by the “Department of the United States.”
- Cash, having the exact amount, no change is provided.
- Credit card or prepaid gift card that displays the logo of both Visa and Mastercard.
Paying the American Passport: How to Apply?
You can get routine passport at least 10 to 12 weeks and with expedited service, four to six weeks by mail and at local application centers.
To obtain the American passport, the citizen must be a United States citizen by birth or naturalization.
Within the United States, if in any case you need it in three weeks or less, you must request expedited service. You will need to visit a passport agency by appointment only in life or death emergencies.
Under normal conditions, the citizen can request and cancel the expedited service if he is traveling in 24 to 48 hours (emergency due to a serious illness or the death of a family member).
Traveling within 2-3 weeks, the citizen must present an international travel receipt, such as a purchased plane or cruise ticket.
- You must first make an appointment with the nearest passport agency, that is, make the appointment through the National Passport Information Center.
- You can call the automated appointment system 24 hours a day at 1-877-487-2778.
- Enter the web portal of the United States Department and submit your application in person.
- If you need your passport before 6 -8 normal weeks, you must request expedited service through the mail or in person at a nearest passport acceptance center.
- Each expedited service has an additional cost of $ 60 dollars, plus any delivery costs.
Outside the United States
In the event that it is found that it is outside the United States, the citizen must contact the United States embassy or, failing that, with the nearest consulate, to request information and application forms.
It is important to note that in most countries each embassy or consulate of the United States has different procedures to send and proceed your documents.
- You must first fill out the form DS-82.
- You will need to provide evidence of US citizenship.
- Submit a photocopy of evidence of US citizenship.
- Submit the relevant documents.
- Determine the special cause.
- Supply a photography.
- Calculate the rates.
- Finally, I submitted your request.
Requirements to Apply
The requirements to obtain your American passport are the following:
- The online application form, use the passport application assistant that will help you in the procedure of filling out the form. When you have completed it, you will need to print it out to take it in person to the passport application center.
- Download the form DS-11 application and follow the instructions or you can go to a local passport application center to request a copy and fill it out by hand.
- If you fill out the application by hand, you cannot sign it, until determined by the officer.
- Calculate your passport fees.
The documents that the citizen must provide are the following:
- Original document of proof of citizenship.
- Present your identity document with a legible photograph.
- A photocopy of both sides of the citizenship and identity documents.
The United States Department of StateThey have their policy of how the photo should be according to the passport application.
These policies apply to both adults and children under the age of 16, there are some exceptions for baby photos.
- You must send a color photo, but taken in the last 6 months.
- A clear image of your face, you can’t use filter or anything.
- You have to ask someone else to take your photo. Selfies are not accepted.
- Use a white background.
- You will need to remove your glasses for the photo.
- The applicant must send a high resolution photo, it cannot be pixelated or blurred.
- The appropriate size of the photo is 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm).
- Head to be between 1-13 / 8 inches (25-35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- You cannot send a photo that has stains, holes, etc.
- The expression should be neutral or smile in a natural way.
Pay the American Passport: Renewal
The citizen can renew the valid or expired passport, except in the following cases:
- If the passport was issued when the citizen had less than 16 years old.
- The passport was forwarded ago 15 or more years.
- It is damaged, lost, or stolen.
- It does not contain his current legal name and the citizen does not have to prove his change of Name. For example, a marriage certificate.
- If some of these cases are true, you will have to apply for a new passport, fill it out on Form DS-11.
If the citizen will travel within three weeks or more, he can renew his passport through the mail and request an expedited service.
To get it quickly (two weeks or less) you will need to request expedited service, but be aware that there are additional charges.
For this, you should contact the National Passport Information Center to arrange an appointment with a regional passport agency.
At the appointment you must present evidence that shows why you want to travel immediately and bring all the documents for its renewal.
Citizens must download and complete the form DS-82 in EnglishYou can also complete the application online.
You will need to gather the following documents
- The passport you want to renew
- A passport-type photograph.
- In the event that you want to renew your passport and you do not have your current name, you must present a certified copy of your marriage certificate or a court order, regarding the change of your name.
Then you will have to cancel the rate that touches you, then you will have to send the documents by mail or you can deliver it to the office.
Plan the renovation ahead of time. That is, you can renew it approximately with 9 months before the expiration date . Some countries require that your document be valid after entering that country for up to 6 months.
It is valid for 10 years for citizens who are 16 years of age or older.
Passport for Children under 16 years old
Citizens who are under the age of 16 must be accompanied by their parents or their legal representative, at the time of submitting their application and must provide the following documents:
- Proof of Paternity: It’s like a United States birth certificate, a consular report of Birth abroad with the name of the parents, adoption certificate, etc.
- A proof of identity of the parents or legal guardians: in this case it is to present the driver’s license, state identity card, certificate of naturalization, etc.
- Parental permission: both parents must be present to sign the application. Since some of them are almost unable to attend, they must complete the Form DS-3053.
Unlike renewable passports, the document of minors age is valid for 5 years and are not renewable.
Finally, you must bear in mind that this document is extremely important to carry out the procedure and, above all, to leave the American territory.
Artículos relacionados que te pueden interesar