This article will explain the Requirements for Donating Blood. It is important for people to realize that donating blood is important, because it can save people’s lives.
Every year many people receive blood to treat illnesses or emergencies that appear at a certain time. Most people can do this voluntary act. That is why citizens should know that the June 14th the day is commemorated World Blood Donor.
This day is important because they thank the people who have been donors. There are people who cannot do this cause, so before thinking of doing this good work, you have to comply with the Requirements for Donating Blood in the United States, which will be explained below.
What are the requirements to donate blood in the United States?
In the United States, the Requirements for Donating Blood are as follows:
- Have at least 16 to 65 years old. This is the limit established between the ages of the donor.
- If the citizen is an active donor, it may happen that the person has to be medical exams, to be able to get your donation document.
- The citizen who wishes to donate must have agood health, as well as physical before making that decision.
- Must not have any contagious disease that can infect or be passed through the bloodstream.
- Must weigh more than 50 kilos if you want to donate.
- No eating foods that contain fat one day before you go to donate, because the body can reject it.
- You also cannot donate if the citizen has taken alcohol 12 hours before.
- If you want to donate can’t smoke for at least 6 hours prior to the process.
- It is recommended that when you go to donate, you should consume something light and balanced, but do not do it on an empty stomach, because you may look weak at the end of the procedure. That is, the person may even faint.
- Before donating it is very important that you communicate what medications you are taking, in case you have a treatment for any circumstance.
Documents Needed to Donate Blood
If the citizen has already met the Requirements to Donate Blood, now he has to collect with the documents that will be explained below
- The citizen must request aby appointment, before attending a scheduled donation. However, in an emergency, this step is not necessary.
- Before attending the citizen they are usually ask for your medical history and especially your legal identification in the United States.
- That is why the citizen must show a identification document, either the passport, the social security number or the donation card, if you have it.
- If this is the first time you are donating, you will have to complete a registration form, of important information of the person. Where they will highlight if you are in optimal conditions to donate.
- Before making the donation, you will medical exams of body temperature and tension.
- The citizen must complete a form where you must notify what is the level of hemoglobin in your body.
- Citizens who go to health centers to donate and are 16 years old, must show approval from their parents or legal representatives.
- Show an updated donation certificate, in case you are an active citizen, who have already made several donations.
Types of Donations
It is important to note that people are aware that there are several types of blood donations, which are the following:
Whole Blood Donation
It is the best known type of donation, in which they make the most. The amount they need is drawn from the body’s blood.
It is worth emphasizing that this type of donation performs a procedure that divides the transfused components of the blood in the case of red blood cells, platelets, cryoprecipitate ahf and different blood cells that are extracted in other types of donation.
The duration of this procedure is approximately one hour and you can attend health centers 56 days later to do it again, if you wish.
This type of donation extracts only a limited part of the blood, to then be processed in a specific equipment, where it separates the cells and platelets, and then the excess blood is returned.
For the donation of platelets they can extract enough to help at least 6 sessions of the patient’s therapies. This process lasts approximately two hours and half; You can also do it again up to 24 times during the year.
This type of donation consists of extracting the necessary blood from one of the arms, and then taking it to a specialized team, which collects it in a sterile way. Which allows you to choose the components you need from plasma and some platelets.
The duration of this procedure is approximately 1 hour and people can do it up to 13 times a year.
Red Blood Cell Donation
This type of donation consists of extracting the red blood cells in the same donation process. In this procedure they use a machine that returns the rest of the blood, including platelets and plasma.
This type of donation is essential for transfusions. Its duration is approximately an hour and a half, the citizen can donate 112 days after the first process.
These types of donations are what people make for their own use with a prescription, in the case of an operation. They do not have the same principles of analysis as other donations.
Benefits of Donating Blood
It is important to note that by donating blood you are saving a person’s life, but also by doing this incredible work, great benefits are obtained, which are the following:
- Rejuvenates the body, that is, the body generates new cells and results in clean blood.
- Balances iron levels.
- Blood flows better. In other words, by donating said blood it is better managed and is less damaging to the lining of the blood vessels. It can also mean that the risk of suffering a heart attack or accidents of the same nature decreases.
- People who donate you have a lower risk of dying. That is, they can live longer.
- Donating blood increases lung capacity, in addition to levels of oxygenation in tissues.
Where to do it?
The citizen can donate blood in the “American Red Cross “ . This is an organization that is headquartered in Washington DC, for more information on making an appointment you can do so by accessing your web portal .
On “Grifols (Biomat USA) “ people can donate plasma. If you wish to do so, for more information you can inquire through your Web page.
In this case, the citizen is in the city of Miami and wishes to collaborate by donating, they can do so by attending the “Continental Blood Bank “ . The hours of operation are Monday and Thursday from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm. And on Fridays at 7:30 am to 1:00 pm Likewise, for more information, the citizen can access the web portal.
In the same way, each citizen can communicate with any blood bank found throughout the United States.
What to do after donating blood?
It is important to note that when the citizen has donated, they must follow a series of important warnings for their recovery, they are the following:
- The citizen must complete a donation history worksheet What is it provided by most medical establishments and that has information on the type of donation that each person makes and especially on their health condition.
- Then, at the end of the donation procedure, the citizen must drink a lot of liquid so that it does not decompose. It is recommended that people drink natural juices.
- The person under no circumstances can make effort of any kind, especially physical, during the course of the day.
- It is recommended that the citizen cannot eating processed or high-fat foods. Therefore, you should eat fruits and natural foods for at least one day.
- Do not renew the bandage that covers your wound from the line, at least 5 hours after the donation process is complete. This allows the line not to be infected.
Impediment to donate Blood
It is important to note that in the United States there are some impediments and limitations that wish to donate blood, which are the following:
- Before donating, citizens must be aware that they have a good hemoglobin level, if you have it low you will not be able to do it.
- If you have a flu or a cold, it is better not to donate, at least you should wait until less 24 hours, in which the symptoms have disappeared.
- Diseases that are contagious through the bloodstream.
- Women who are pregnant cannot donate blood because they may suffer from dangerous bruises.
- If you have any tattoos to meet a time of a year before donating.
- People who have had hepatitis are unable to do so.
If all the information provided is clear to you and you wish to carry out this voluntary act, remember that you must first comply with the Requirements for Donating Blood.
Artículos relacionados que te pueden interesar