The presence of a citizen elected as President is a very important figure for the development, growth and relations of their fellow citizens and neighboring countries. Read the Requirements to be president of Guatemala: Everything you need to know and you will know much more about what this position implies.
Requirements to be president of Guatemala
According to the Constitution of the Republic of Guatemala, in its art. 185, in order to have the possibility of being elected President or Vice President, under the current suffrage norms it is required:
- Count on the Guatemalan citizenship by birth, in addition to having turned forty years old.
The Presidential functions, we can appreciate them in the Constitution of the Republic of Guatemala, established in article 183:
- Execute and enforce both the Constitution and the laws.
- Provide defense and confidence to the Nation, and also provide the rules to preserve public order.
- Exercise the total leadership of the Armed Forces of the nation
- Play leadership over the Public Force.
- To be a sanctioner, promulgator and executor of the laws.
Issue the necessary decisions in case of serious emergencies at levels of public calamity, notifying in the immediate sessions to the Congress.
- The draft laws must be presented to the Congress of the Republic.
- Apply your right of veto in relation to the laws that Congress has issued. With the exception of not being indispensable the sanction on the part of the executive power according to constitutional mandate.
- On an annual basis, at the beginning of the session of the Congress of the republic, must present a written report expressing the general situation of the nation and the business agreements made or presented during its administrative exercise of the immediately preceding year.
- Annually through Ministry of Public Finances, must submit for approval to the Congress, the formulation of the budget detailing the income and expenditures of the State. It must be submitted at least four months before the fiscal year begins. The Congress must be in session or, failing that, meet for extraordinary sessions and have knowledge of the project.
- Before ratifying international treaties and conventions, as well as contracts and concessions on public services, you must present them to the Congress for your approval.
- Invite to hold extraordinary sessions with the Legislative body in all cases that the interests of the nation demand.
- Organize through Minister council the Nation’s growth and development policies.
- Head the Minister council and assume the responsibilities as the highest hierarchy of the officials and employees of the Executive Body.
- Sustain the dignity of the Nation and territorial integrity.
- In accordance with the Constitution, carry out ratifications and make complaints to treaties and conventions. As direction of foreign policy and international relations.
- To host the diplomatic representatives, issuing and withdrawing the placet that corresponds as consuls.
Based on the laws, it must coordinate matters related to public finances.
- Deposit the fines and surcharges to those taxpayers who, because they do not cover the taxes within the legal terms for acts or omissions in the administrative order, have fallen into them
- Appoint and remove ministers and vice ministers. Also to the secretaries and undersecretaries. Including ambassadors and any other official established by law.
- Granting retirements, pensions and montepíos in compliance with the Law.
- Confer decorations to Guatemalans and foreigners
- When making trips abroad, you must inform Congress about the scope of the objectives that justify any trip. Within fifteen days after completion.
- Four times a year, every four months. It must present to the Congress and through the corresponding Ministry, an analytical report on the execution of the budget, for its follow-up.
- Any other function designated by the Constitution and the laws.
How the president is elected in Guatemala
The elections to elect the President of the Republic are carried out through universal and secret suffrage.
The face-to-face mandate has a duration of four years that are not extendable.
During the election, the situation may arise that none of the candidates obtains an absolute majority of votes, so a second election will be held. Which must be done in a period of time that should not exceed more than two months or be less than a month and a half. The opponents being reduced to the two candidates with the two highest number of voters to their credit.
Prohibitions for opting for the office of president
There are some conditions that prohibit the option to the office of the President of the Republic of Guatemala:
- People who act as ringleaders or heads of coups, or armed revolutions or similar situations. Whose actions have generated alterations of the constitutional order or as a result of them the Head of Government would have assumed.
Those who are exercising the position of President or Vice President at the time of electing the new Head of State. Like those who for any reason have held the presidential office in any period of time within the fiscal year in which the elections are held.
- Family members of the President or Vice President of the Republic, who are within fourth degree of consanguinity and from affinity second, and the maximum position is being exercised. Including these conditions to the people described in the first point.
- The person who would have acted as minister of state, within the six months before the election, regardless of the amount of time.
- Only in a situation of discharge or retirement with at least five years before the time of the call for elections, is the only way that the members of the army.
- No person whatsoever Minister religious or any cult.
- The members of the magistracy of the Supreme Electoral Tribunal.
It should be noted that reelection is prohibited to:
- Any person who has held the Presidency without time limits, regardless of the method used to assume it, either by popular election or by dictatorship.
- The person who has assumed the presidency for more than two years replacing the holder of the position.
In the situation that re-election is exercised or the presidential term is extended, with any justification, it will be subject to sanction as established by law. Generating absolute nullity in the actions exercised.
Current President of Guatemala
In the general elections held during 2019, in its 1st round on June 16, 2019 and in its 2nd round on August 11, 2019, 57.95% of the total voters were favored on Mr. Alejandro Eduardo Giammattei Falla.
Will assume the position of President of the Republic of Guatemala on January 14, 2020 until 2024, being the only person in the world, who exercises his position accompanied by crutches to mobilize. Condition that speaks positively of him, as an example of encouragement to eliminate the limitations of professional growth in the lives of many people.
Mr. Giammattei, in addition to being a Guatemalan politician, is a medical professional and a firefighter. During the years 2005 to 2007 he was director of the Guatemala Penitentiary System, using this position as a basis to make himself known, obtaining such popularity that he decided to participate in his first elections in 2007, following in those of 2011 and 2015.
It is characterized by its position against abortion and homosexual marriage and supports the death penalty and the use of military forces to safeguard the safety of citizens.
State ministries in Guatemala
In Decree Number 114 of 1997, issued by the Congress of the Republic of Guatemala, in its Chapter II on the Structure and Functions of the Public Administration.
It provides in Article 119 of its Fourth Section, that the Ministries that will carry out the dispatch of the businesses that the Executive Organism of the Guatemalan nation decides are 13, namely:
- The Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Food, followed by the Ministry of Communications, Infrastructure and Housing, of. Energy and Mines, that of Public Finance
- Also the ministries of Culture and Sports, the Ministry of Economy, Education, the Interior, and the Ministry of National Defense.
- In another group we find the Ministry of Foreign Relations, Public Health and Social Assistance, as well as Labor and Social Welfare. And finally the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources.
Each of them has a titular position, known as Ministers of State. They report their activities to the Vice Presidency of the Republic, although they depend on the President, who in turn, has the power to appoint and remove them from their positions.
The ministers of state They have authority and competence throughout the nation, in the issues and decisions of the branch they lead.
They are responsible for their acts in accordance with the Constitution and the laws. Everybody They have the same level of hierarchy, so the privileges and immunities are the same.
Hope you enjoyed reading!
Related articles that may interest you