Social security is a serious matter. In fact, many people consider that protecting ourselves from the social uncertainty in which we live is the most important thing. For this reason, you may have asked yourself: How to Know My Social Security NumberIf so, you’ve come to the right place.
Here we will tell you everything about your Social Security number and the benefits you can obtain for knowing this valuable information. Let’s start!
How do I know my Social Security Number?
In Mexico we know the social security number by its initials (NSS). Said number or code is unrepeatable and cannot be transferred or given to another person, since it is for personal use.
The number is assigned to be able to monitor and control the insured persons and workers of a company. All workers, without exception, must have a Social Security number, because it is a constitutional right.
There are multiple social benefits thanks to this, such as retirement. Best of all, they are benefits backed by law. Okay, enough of the good stuff, let’s get down to business.
What is the regulatory process for obtaining or knowing my Social Security Number? Well, it is simple and here we will tell you all the details. There are two basic ways to do the process. Via online and in person.
If you do not trust technology, you can do it yourself in the office closest to your locality, for this you must follow the following steps. Pay attention:
- Bring a copy of your Birth Certificate. It must be certified compulsorily.
- Bring original and current official documentation that can verify your identity before the official entities of the country.
- Submit in its original and copy the key Unique Population Registry Code.
- If the legal process will be done by someone else in your place, that person must carry an original power of attorney signed by you. Likewise, you must send all your personal data.
- Important, you must attend the nearest Affiliation and Collection Auxiliary Office only during the available hours.
How to know my Social Security Number online?
In case you are more open to new technologies, you can check your Social Security number online. What you are going to need is the CURP and your email. Once you have that, follow these steps:
- Turn on your computer.
- Enter the browser of your choice.
- Enter the official website of the Mexican Government. We leave you here the direct link.
- Write the information they request.
- Press the “next” button.
- It will load a tab where they will tell you what your Social Security Number is.
- You can request that the information be sent to you via email for greater convenience.
- Ready, you have finished the process.
How to know my Social Security Number: What is it for?
What is the Social Security Number for? This should be a question that few people ask themselves, since the benefits that having Social Security offers you are very evident. However, there is no doubt that is not valid.
The Social Security number basically serves to be accredited by the State. Thus, you have access to a series of advantages that we will mention below:
- The identification number allows you to access the services of the Mexican Institute of Social Security (IMSS).
- It is one of the essential requirements when you want to access the loans for homes that the Institute of the National Housing Fund for Workers (INFONAVIT).
- You can meticulously review from time to time all the work weeks that you were quoted. A great advantage in case there were any errors in the payments.
- Allows you to check your employment history status.
What Happens When I Have More Than Two Numbers on Social Security?
There are some cases, although few, in which a person owns more than two social security numbers. The IMSS tries to prevent it from happening, but it is not always successful.
Having more than two numbers on Social Security is a problem that should be taken seriously. Why? because This means that the person would be contributing twice as many weeks of work, pensions and housing contributions.
And it does not stop there, it may happen that due to that mistake, you cannot choose to retire. Well, not like that, but the process may be delayed a lot while it is solved. Nor will you be a prospective person for mortgage loans.
Then What is the solution when I have More than Two Numbers on Social Security? The best option is to go personally to the entity that controls these procedures, that is, the Mexican Institute of Social Security, and there they will have to join the two numbers.
The process is to request in customer service or support a record in which a correction is requested in the personal data of the person or yours.
How to know my Social Security Number: Other Procedures
As we have mentioned above, there are other procedures that are directly linked to the Social Security Number. It is important to know them, since they can fall like a glove if you need them. Pay attention to this:
The famous Labor History
Work history is the document you most often need from Social Security. It is a sheet that specifies all the economic benefits or contributions made while you were affiliated with the preferred Pension Fund.
The money deposited is identified with the amount, the week it was quoted and the name of the company, business or particular job in which you had a working relationship. Today, in Mexico, In order to withdraw the money you must have your Social Security Number, 1250 weeks of contributions and be 60 years old.
Are you interested? You can check your work history on the official website of the Mexican Institute of Social Security or IMSS. Try it and stay informed.
What is the CURP?
The CURP is a special code that is given to all people residing in Mexico. Even many Mexicans who are outside the country also have it. His initials correspond to the Unique Population Registry Code.
The code usually contains at least 18 digits, so try to write it down so you don’t forget it. If you want to process the CURP easily for the first time, what you should do is go to the civil registry of your locality. The documents to be consigned are your identification and the birth certificate. Only in this way will you be assigned the CURP.
What is the Social Security Number in Mexico?
It is a number made up of eleven digits where each one has a meaning and which is used to register you within the Mexican Social Security.
The scheme for understanding what each Social Security number means can be complex. Here we explain it to you in the simplest way possible. Suppose your number is: 34-18-87-5624. This means the following:
- The number 34 corresponds to the number assigned to the administrative office where you carried out the procedure.
- The next digit, 18, corresponds to the year you joined the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS).
- The number 87 would be the worker’s year of birth.
- The codes 5624 correspond to the digits assigned by the institute itself automatically.
- The last number, 2, would be the number with which the worker verifies his entity with the IMSS.
Artículos relacionados que te pueden interesar