With the intention of protecting themselves and their family, Mexicans are choosing to acquire a weapon. Here we present the Requirements to Buy a Weapon.
In addition, you have information about the types of weapons you can buy, costs, where you can complete the procedures to obtain the permit to carry a weapon, and much more.
What are the Requirements to Buy a Weapon?
The Requirements to Buy a Gun in Mexico being civil are explained below:
- Extraordinary permit that authorizes the acquisition of weapons.
- Copy of the Military Service Card.
- Exception sheet for Military Service, if the applicant is over 40 years of age.
- Photocopy of the birth certificate in the case of female staff.
- A sheet or proof of work that specifies perceptions, functions and seniority in the same.
- Original criminal record certificate.
- Photocopy of a receipt or proof of residence. For this purpose, the payment of gas, telephone, electricity, water, the property, among others, can be used.
- Identification document have a photo. This can be the accreditation as a voter, the passport, the driver’s license, among others.
- A copy of the credential of a hunting center of which the applicant is a member, and if the weapon is requested to hunt or practice shooting.
- Copy of the authorization to collect weapons, in the event that this was the objective of the acquisition.
- Copy of the applicant’s birth certificate.
- The photocopy of the curp.
Documents Needed to Buy a Gun
The documents required to obtain a permit to obtain weapons are another matter. Even before you start to record the Requirements to Buy a Weapon that we already mentioned, it is important that you have obtained the extraordinary authorization.
The documents needed to buy a gun by means of the extraordinary permit are:
- The certification of cancellation of rights. This is obtained through the Ministry of Finance, in its e-five format.
- Accreditation as a current voter and in good condition.
- Photocopy of a receipt or proof of room. For this purpose, the payment of water, telephone, property, gas, electricity, among others, can be used.
Who grants the Weapons Carrying License?
The concession to carry weapons in Mexican territory is granted by the Secretariat of National Defense (SEDENA).
The Federal Law on Firearms and Explosives in its Article 32 establishes the following: The issuance and cessation of licenses to carry weapons, as well as their registration and supervision. This license must be renewed every 2 years.
Costs of Buying a Weapon
To buy a weapon you must have $ 6,000 pesos available. However, AMLO recently made a decree about the National Guard. Warning about the sale of arms, which is a right that they have in Mexico for a long time.
At this time, the institution that administers weapons inspection in Mexico is SEDENA. On your sales list presents more than 1,630 pistols, rifles and different shotguns. Also a large number of projectiles of different calibers available.
These provisions are generally used for sport shooting, or for militia workers. And they have at least 440 pistols and revolvers of 18 different types. Which are used for home protection, and that are possible to get in less than $ 6,000 pesos.
What are the types of Weapons that can be purchased in Mexico?
There are some Articles of the Federal Law on Firearms and Explosives, which establish the following:
The following weapons may be had under certain conditions, and with restrictions set forth in said Law: Semi-automatic pistols with a caliber no greater than .380 (9mm), except weapons with caliber .38 Comando and .38 Super.
Also the 9mm diameter, Mauser, Comando, Luger and Parabellum. Also some revolvers of caliber not greater than .38 Special, except caliber .357 Magnum.
The feudataries, commoners and peons from the countryside, who are in rural areas, only by declaring they can have weapons of the aforementioned. Similarly, a .22 caliber rifle, or a shotgun of any caliber, except those with a barrel smaller than 635 mm (25), and those with a caliber greater than 12 (18.5 mm or .729).
This Article stipulates those weapons that are allowed for people who practice sports such as shooting or hunting, which they can have in their homes and carry with a license. These are: .22 caliber rifles, revolvers and pistols that have circular fire.
Also .38 caliber pistols intended for Olympic or competition shooting. Also shotguns of all types of caliber, except those with a long barrel smaller than 635 mm (25). And those that are higher than 12 gauge (18. 5 mm or .729). In addition, the aforementioned 3-barrel shotguns and supported calibers, and with barrel for metal cartridges of different calibers.
Similarly, rifles with high power, repeating or with semi-automatic functions, which do not become automatic. Less 30 caliber and .223, 7 and 7.62 mm carbines, carabiners, Garand .30 caliber and rifles. Including rifles with calibers greater than those indicated above, with specific authorization for use abroad. For hunting larger elements, which do not exist in the local nature.
exist some weapons with sporting qualities, in accordance with the hunting law. And that are applied through the different Secretariats of States and Entities that are related. As well as the national and international standards for competition shots.
Citizens who perform charrería acts are allowed revolvers of a caliber greater than those indicated in Article nine of the Law. Only to complement the charro dress, and must carry them without charge. On the other hand, the possession of ammunition belonging to said weapons that may be possessed, will be limited to the number that the Law reflects in its Article 50.
Where to Buy a Gun in Mexico?
In the entire Mexican territory there is only one place where a weapon can be legally acquired. It is discreetly located in an anonymous military establishment, in the capital of the country assisted by the military.
The citizens who enter this place, before they must dispose of their belongings such as (cameras, mobile phones or tablets), and must also go through a metal detector.
All the weapons are kept in boxes made of locked glass. It should be noted that the Constitution of Mexico authorizes Mexican people to possess both hunting rifles and a pistol for their personal safety and to practice specific sports.
However, to legally obtain a weapon, some very demanding bureaucratic processes must be passed compared to other countries such as the United States. This includes traveling from far away places to access this store which is unique in the arms sales business in Mexico.
Probably, a large number of the Mexican population does not know that the Directorate of Arms and Ammunition Marketing of the Ministry of National Defense exists. Because it is not allowed to report what is sold there. But this has not prevented sales from increasing, which goes hand in hand with the immense and dynamic business of the black market of arms of illicit origin, from the USA.
According to data provided by the National Army, which owns the store, in 2000 some 549 weapons were sold. But by 2015, commercialization increased to 10,115, which indicates concern for personal integrity, due to the large percentage of murders in Mexico as a whole. Between 2007 and 2014, more than 164,000 homicides were recorded, according to official numbers.
In this gun trading shop, 27 different brands are obtained, starting from the Mendoza and Trejo which is from Mexico, to the Glock which is from Austria, the American Colt and the Beretta that is from Italy. Even when the possession of the same is contemplated in the Constitution, the Government is authorized by the Norm to regulate the allowed models, according to some provisions.
Information of interest:
- When the permit for the purchase of weapons is admitted, one has 4 months from the day of issuance to make the purchase.
- If the interested party does not withdraw the authorization, after one month of having issued it, it will be canceled. Therefore, it must be carried out again with appropriate diligence.
- The duration of the permit begins from the day it is issued, and until the last day of December of that same year.
- Regarding the number of weapons that can be registered, it is detailed as follows:
- The first thing is to enroll in a hunting and shooting center.
- It is possible to have a 0.22 ″ caliber short gun and 9 long guns with sporting qualities.
- Also own a short weapon for personal and home security.
- To collect, you can buy whatever you want.
- All the procedures corresponding to permits, acquisition and carrying of these weapons takes place specifically in Mexico City.
It is important that you comply with the Requirements to Buy a Weapon. In this way, SEDENA will give you the opportunity to manage the concession of possession and carrying of weapons.
All this in order to protect your physical integrity and that of your family. Also in the case of practicing some allusive sport or if you are a collector.