If you are from Mexico, it is likely that you have heard of the RFC when carrying out certain legal processes, in which they request it as a necessary document.
The Federal taxpayer registration (RFC) is an alphanumeric key consisting of 13 characters.
Usually the first two characters correspond to the paternal surname, the third to the maternal surname -the initial-, the fourth to the first name, date of birth in year, month and day format and the homoclave assigned by the SAT.
It is a document that serves to identify individuals or legal entities as taxpayers; this in order to control the payment of taxes to the treasury.
As it is a mandatory document for all taxpayers, below we will inform you of the Requirements to Process the RFC for the First Time.
What are the Requirements to Process the RFC
In the process to acquire this registration, a series of easy-to-obtain requirements are requested and that we mention below:
- Birth Certificate or CURP (Unique Population Registry Code).
- Proof of address.
- Personal identification.
- Assigned folio number that was assigned to you when sending your pre-registration.
Requirements to pre-register in the RFC
This documents vary according to the type of person who is going to register in the registry, here we show you the options for each:
In this case, the individual does not need to take any document to the authorized offices since registration 100% online.
Then you must proceed to fill out the form that appears on the page of SAT (Service tax administration); Said registration at the end will generate a unique registration receipt in which your tax identification number and a two-dimensional barcode will appear.
The parents or guardians of the minor must ask for an appointment on the SAT and bring the documents mentioned below to the competent offices:
- Birth certificate, personal identification issued by RENAPO. These documents must be originals.
- Judicial resolution, and in case of being the legal guardians, they must have the document assigned by the notary public. This would be a certified copy.
- Manifestation where it is determined that both parents agree that either of them will exercise the role of representative of the young person, together with their valid identifications.
- Official identification in force of the parent or guardian who acts as representative of the minor, current and original.
- Proof of tax registration.
- A power of attorney must be presented that has been signed and witnessed by two people or a power of attorney that is notarized and demonstrates the type of personality that characterizes the representative or legal guardian.
- The minor must be at least 16 years old, have personal identification and receive some salary.
- They must make the arrangements personally at an SAT office, previously having the appointment generated in said portal of the same entity and submit the corresponding documents.
- Personal identity card issued by the National Population Registry.
- The minor must state in writing and with his/her signature his/her desire to register in the Federal Taxpayer Registry in order to perform exclusively a subordinate personal service and that he/she will not do any other activity until he/she is 18 years old.
You must submit this document to the Taxpayer Services Decentralized Administration.
- Proof of the fiscal domicile where you reside.
- Valid official identification.
must pre-register on the website SAT, and they will have to deliver these documents within a maximum of 10 days:
- Pre-registration receipt in the RFC.
- Protocolized constitutive document and also a certified copy of it.
- You must have a Power of Attorney, if it is the case that there is a legal representation that attests to the legal representative and his personality.
In addition, a certified copy or a power of attorney that is signed in the presence of two people who act as witnesses and these signatures must be corroborated by the authorities, must be the original document.
If it was granted abroad, it must be duly apostilled and have been formalized by the Mexican Public Official and have the translation into Spanish made by the authorized expert.
- Valid official identification of the legal representative.
- You must have the RFC key of each of the members that are in the constitutive act.
You can also find out how to carry out other procedures, for example: «Steps and Requirements to Process the INE Credential».
Requirements to Update RFC
The Federal Taxpayer Registry It should only be updated in the event of a change of address, resumption of activities, suspension, increase or decrease of activities, opening or closing of an establishment.
Once you are clear about what aspect you want to update, depending on which you decide, you must bring the relevant documents to a prior appointment at the SAT or, on the contrary, do the update online.
- Notice of modification or update of tax situation, to present a summary of identity data, type of notice and location presented.
- Have a receipt of movements of the update of the fiscal situation, where you will find:
the corresponding folio number of the procedure, the date and place of issue, the type of movement, the taxpayer’s data, the specific location data, the economic activities, obligations, regimes, digital seal, bar code and two-dimensional code.
- You must have the valid RFC keys of each of the partners, shareholders or associates within the articles of incorporation.
How to print the RFC
- You can print your tax identification card at any time on the page of the Tax Administration Service (SAT).
- Go to the SAT Internet page and place the cursor on the option “Other procedures and services”, a menu will be displayed there. Choose «Get your tax identification card.»
- You will enter a brief form in which they ask for your RFC and your current password or e.signature. If you don’t have your password, you can generate it there.
- Finally, select the button «to download» to save the file as a PDF to your device or computer.
We will provide you with an instructional video below that shows you step by step the process to print your RFC.
As you can see, it is an extremely simple process, we hope that the information has been useful to you!
You may be interested in our article on: «Requirements and How to Register for the SAT».
Related articles that may interest you