What is Decision Making? It is the process that a person must go through when faced with several alternatives, that is, choose. Today we will talk about the one in charge of administrative matters, since decisions must always be made regarding the development of certain tasks. However, this is something that is done daily.
Today we will be explaining everything about this. Specifically, we will tell you what it consists of, what are the steps you must follow when making a decision, the characteristics of a decision making, the advantages and disadvantages, and the importance that it entails. If you are interested in knowing all about this, keep reading!
What is Decision Making?
Let’s start by answering the question about What is Decision Making? In this way, you will be able to understand all the other concepts that we will be dealing with today. Keep in mind that decision-making is a process that is carried out every day, in every aspect of our life: in the workplace, in personal life and even in education.
We are always in a constant process of making decisions. Thus, we can define the Decision making like the process of choosing, among several alternatives, the best possible option. In this sense, the person must analyze which option suits their needs or requirements in the most efficient way and thus be able to decide.
At Business field, Decision-making refers to the choice between a series of options for solutions to conflicts in the workplace or opportunities for the fulfillment of the company’s objectives. Again, the entrepreneur must choose the alternative that he considers to be the best possible for the interests of the entity.
As in personal life, it will be up to the employer to make daily decisions that affect the company. You need to know the best way to do it so that you can make a quick and efficient choice whenever the opportunity arises.
This is essential because the market is always changing, opportunities are always around the corner, and many times there is no time to deeply analyze a decision. On these occasions you must act automatically, seeing the advantages and disadvantages of each of the options, and selecting the one that seems best.
Steps for Decision Making
Now that you know what it is about, we can go on to tell you about the Steps for Decision Making. Of course, there are a number of steps you must follow if you want to make efficient decisions. Not only that, but practicing this process will allow you to quickly choose when required, and automatically.
- First of all, you have to identify an opportunity, problem, or goal. If you know that it exists you will see the options you have to choose from.
- Once you have made the identification, you must proceed to investigate. Look for the information that allows you to know which is the best possible option.
- Write all the options. All the alternatives you can get based on that goal, opportunity or problem.
- Make a list of advantages and disadvantages of each of the options you set. It can also be of the cost-benefit type. The idea is that you can identify which are the best options by evaluating the possible results. Consider the risks and objectives.
- Make your decision once you have analyzed all the alternatives. It should be the one that has the greatest probability of having the results, with the least risk and that meets the objectives.
- Finally, act. Make your decision known and act on it.
It would be very useful if you also document the result of this decision, that is, the impact. It will let you know if you should change your approach when choosing, if you are doing something wrong, or if you should continue.
This can be done automatically once it adheres to your unconscious. It will no longer seem like a vast process, but rather a process that you will do intuitively. The idea is that you adjust so that you can choose the most optimal option in the shortest possible time.
The Decision Making Features they are also important to know. You probably don’t know what they are, which is why we’re bringing them to you today. Next, we will list these characteristics:
- Decision-making always involves a series of actors. It could be a single individual, a group of them deciding, or one group may be influenced or supported by a group in making the decision.
- The impact it is part of the characteristics. Each of the alternatives has a result that must be expected. That is, you have to analyze the consequences that choosing a certain option would bring and decide on the one that most likely brings the desired results.
- You also have to have certainty Regarding the objective that you seek to achieve in the problem that requires you to make a decision.
- You have to take into account the reversibility, given that care must be taken in decisions that once made the effects cannot be remedied.
- Finally, the periodicity with which decisions are made. There are decisions that are made on a daily basis, another from time to time and others that are unforeseen. You have to be prepared for anyone.
All these constitute the characteristics, which in total are five. There are also a series of components that allow solving a problem or dilemma, which are: present uncertainty, alternatives, decision-making, result, consequence, preferences in the alternatives and judgment of the decision made.
Finally, keep in mind that there are a number of factors that can hinder This process. When the person wants to do one thing and does another different, when decisions are based on past experiences without taking into account changes over time and when others make the decision for you.
Opinions by ” experts ” that make you doubt yourself can also intervene in your own judgment, as well as situations in which you cannot modify beliefs to make an accurate decision, or when you cannot fully get into the conflict. All of this can make do not choose properly.
Advantages and disadvantages
To finish, we can proceed to tell you the Advantages and Disadvantages of Group Decision Making. Below we list them all, so that you can better understand what these are and can act better:
- Information and knowledge. You can have more if you work as a team and in less time. This is because each person knows more and less than others.
- Additionally, you can have more points of view. You will not be closed in your beliefs or in the belief of experts but you will be able to see the problem or dilemma from different perspectives. This will allow you to make better decisions.
- As a result of the above, there will be greater certainty and commitment with the decision made. It is more difficult for one to make a mistake having the support of several people.
- Finally, there will be greater acceptance about the decision made. Sometimes decisions are made that are not beneficial to the majority in the belief that there is no other option. However, this may not be the case. Or, if it is, there will be greater understanding regarding the choice made.
- To begin with, the decision takes more time. That is, it is not to recognize the problem, see the possible solutions and decide. Rather, it must be discussed, something that can take hours, days, weeks and even months.
- There may be pressures by others to lean on an option, even if it is not the best option for the company.
- If there are many people, then it will be more difficult to maintain dominance of this. That is, coordinate that everyone is heard and controlled to allow efficient decision-making.
- Finally, there may also be a dissolution of responsibility. People can wash their hands claiming that the decision was not theirs but someone else’s.
Importance of Decision Making
The Importance of Decision Making it is undoubted. Choosing properly, taking into account the pros and cons, as well as different points of view, makes the difference between satisfactory results and others not so much.
Of course it is true that when making a decision it is not known with certainty what the consequences will be. However, if certain aspects such as those mentioned above are taken into account, this will allow the process to end in choosing an option that is more likely to end in the expected results.
It is vital for the company to have people in it who know how to make decisions. Why? Because these will have repercussions on the establishment and growth of this. Not only this, but each of the people will obtain the results they want if they take the best alternative among all possible ones.
Develop the habit of analyzing the pros and cons and cost-benefit ratio it is vital. It will not only help you in the workplace, but in the educational and personal. Knowing how to make decisions is what will allow you to function.
We hope we have helped you with what you were looking for. Now you know a little more about before. And not only that, but if you got here it is because you made the decision to continue reading. You see? There are always options!
Until next time!
Artículos relacionados que te pueden interesar