A Visa is a conditional authorization, generally granted to a foreign citizen at the embassy of the destination country;
it is placed in the passport by the authorities, indicating that the document has been examined, and is valid.
Visas are used as standards established by a country, in this case the United States, which allows the free transit of a foreigner.
Before traveling from Peru to the United States, remember that it is necessary to obtain a visa, learn about the Procedures and Requirements for USA Visa.
Requirements to Apply for a USA Visa
There are requirements demanded by the authorities of each embassy in the different countries in which they are located, in this case, the requirements to apply for the USA visa, are the following:
- Be a legal citizen of Peru.
- Have a valid passport with a duration of up to six (06) months after the trip.
- Guarantee the existing reasons to return to their country of origin.
How to substantiate the reason for the trip?
The reason for the trip It is directly related to the type of visa to request to enter the American territory.
In this sense, there are two types of visa, immigrant visa and of not immigrants.
In the case of non-immigrants, it can be argued that the reason is vacation, however, you must submit the document indicating that you have a job, specifying your position, income, and financial documents that indicate the properties in your name.
In the same order of ideas, if they have children, they must attach the study certification to the application, indicating where they study, what grade, among others.
However, it is essential to note that the visa is approved based mainly on the interview, more than in the consigned documents.
You may also be interested in the «Requirements to travel to Spain from Peru»
Steps to Process American Visa
The steps to effectively process the American visa are the following:
- First you must obtain a recent photograph (of approximately the last six (06) months, in digital format, in color, with a black and white background, and with exact measurements of 5 centimeters x 5 centimeters.
- Then, the applicant must fill out the DS-160 form online. It is important to take into account that the form must be made in English language, thus not should be used neither the letter ñ nor tildes.
It must be printed when finished, which must be no later than 72 hours before the interview at the embassy.
- Subsequently, you must register in the official account of the embassy, in order to create a virtual account, where in addition to receiving information about the type of visas, you must select the country of origin, which in this case is Peru.
By filling in the requested information, you will schedule the appointment and obtain the payment receipt for the cancellation of the amount established for said procedure.
- The fourth step is to go to any Scotiabank agency, which is the entity determined for this procedure in Peru, and pay the amount indicated on the payment receipt.
- The fifth step is mainly based on validating the appointment, which must be done one day after the payment of the amount of the procedure, and in turn, verify the date of the appointment.
- The penultimate step is to go to the interview which will not take more than five (05) minutes but will be the determinant of the consignment of the visa to the applicant.
You must be punctual and submit the documents mentioned above.
- Finally, if you are selected to acquire the visa, you must go to the embassy or consulate authorities to collect the passport that will have said document attached.
If you are interested in traveling to the United States, you should keep in mind that you need to purchase your visa.
Therefore, before starting to plan your trip, learn about the types of visas that exist and which one is necessary for your stay in the United States.
In this way, US visa types are based on employmentthey are between them:
- Business and Tourism Visa (B1/B2): The B1 visa is indicated for temporary business trips; On the other hand, the B2 visa is ideal for tourist purposes, or failing that, for medical treatments.
It is very important to keep in mind that when entering the United States with these two types of visas, you do not have the ability to obtain employment.
For this reason, the authorities carefully verify that applicants have sufficient resources for the planned stay in the country, as well as the ties that unite the individual with the country of origin to guarantee that the individual has reasons to return to their country.
- The Immigrant Visa It is divided into five categories, which differ in employment, they are the following:
- EB-1 visa; It is assigned to the aliens with extraordinary abilitiesor company personnel who are transferred to the United States, this visa allows them their permanent stay in the territory.
- EB-2 visa; Intended to foreigners who have skills in the sciences, arts, or business advanced degree and practice in marginal areas of the United States.
- EB-3 visa; It is awarded to skilled workersprofessionals and other workers, who do not qualify for EB-1 or EB-2.
- EB-4 visa; It is assigned to immigrants who are workers, religious, who have served for the United States government, widows of United States citizens, that is, they are those people who qualify to obtain the residence card as special immigrants.
- EB-5 visa; It is that visa that allows you to apply for permanent residence, It is obtained when the individual invests between $500,000 and $1,000,000 dollars in an employment area that provides ten (10) workers, excluding the investor and his family.
Where is the American Embassy in Peru?
It is important to know the location of the American embassy in your country, in the particular case of Peru, the embassy is located at:
- Avenida la Encalada, block 17 s/n Surco, Lima 33; Peru.
Telephone: (51-1) 619-2000
Where is the Embassy of Peru in the USA?
In the U.S there are several embassies or consulates in different states among them are:
- Washington; 1700 Massachusetts Ave NW Washington DC.
- Atlanta; 4360 Chamblee Dunwoody Rd, Suite 580 Atlanta, GA 30341.
- Boston; 20 Park Plaza, Suite 511 Boston, MA 02116.
- Chicago; 180 North Michigan Avenue Suite 1830.
- The Angels; 3450 Wilshire Boulevard Suite 800.
- Miami; 1401 Ponce de Leon Blvd Coral Gables, FL 33134.
- San Francisco; 870 Market St. Suite 1075.
- New York; Permanent Mission to the UN of Peru, 445 East 67th Street New York, NY 10065.
How long does it take to process the USA visa?
There is no specific timebecause it varies according to the type of visa you have applied for, however, It can be in a period of seven (07) days to fifteen (15) days.
When your visa is approved, the same is sent to a DHL agency(prior agreement with the applicant), according to the policies of the embassy, there is no additional cost for said shipment.
Another option to travel is Mexico. “Find out what are the Requirements to travel to Mexico from Peru.”
How much does it cost to process the USA visa?
Currently the visa process in Peru for the United States has a cost of $160which must be deposited in the bank indicated above.
It is important to take into account that if the application submitted to acquire the American visa is denied, you must submit a new application from the beginning, which means that you must pay again the fee corresponding to the procedure, equivalent to $160 USD.
- Before planning your trip from Peru to the United States, it is essential to apply for a visa since it will allow you to enter the territory legally.
- Do not forget that there are different types of visas that vary basically in terms of the privileges or opportunities that the citizen has in the United States in the labor field.
Finally, we leave you with a curious fact: according to the statistics presented by the United States Embassy in Peru, approximately 80% of visa applications are approved, therefore it is essential before beginning the application process, to know the Procedures and Requirements for Visa in the USAand thus avoid being part of the 20% of the Peruvian population that is denied the American visa.
Related articles that may interest you