One of the most famous data file formats in the world is the SD card. But as fast as its use and availability has increased, so have bugs that you need to know about. How to recover a damaged memory.
Luckily, many of these errors can be fixed on a damaged SD card in a very practical way. As well as it is also possible to recover the data that you thought was lost. Here we will explain How to recover a damaged memory, with some of the most effective ways and other tips that can help you.
How to recover a damaged memory
Do you know when one memory is damaged when:
- You notice the black screen on your system.
- When your photos don’t come out anymore.
- You get a message in the system indicating that the card is not formatted.
- It does not allow you to save, change or delete anything in it.
- It feels very slow.
- It indicates a reading error.
Next we are going to provide you with six different and more effective ways so that you know How to recover a damaged memory:
Change Drive Letter
On many occasions, the SD card does not have a drive letter designated by the Windows process. And as a consequence of this, the drive or SD card may not be recognized or get into trouble with other drives, which complicates data access.
This causes the SD card to get damaged. Therefore, the first step in fixing the damaged sd card is to modify the drive letter. Here’s how to do it.
- Start by pressing the key Windows joined with the X key. A menu is displayed from which you have to click on the “Disk Management” option.
- Next, locate your SD card and right-click on it. Choose the “Change Drive Letter and Path” option.
- Click on “Add” and select a lyrics of unit. Now, ratify the actions and click on “OK”.
Run the Windows Repair Tool
The second step to solve this issueNot much to like is the Windows Repair Tool. This is what you have to implement to fix the SD card.
- Install the SD card and start the Windows Explorer using the Windows and E keys.
- Right click on the SD drive and look under «Properties».
- Click on the option of «Tools» and then where you specify “Check”.
- This will start the scanning process. Let it finish and close the window.
- Confirm if the problem has disappeared.
Try another Port/Device/PC
As a next method, we find the use of another port to contact the SD card. Or use another reader Of cards.
This is because on many occasions, there connection difficulty. For example, it is likely that the USB port used is defective. Therefore, you should follow this method if the previous solutions have not been satisfactory.
Reinstall SD Card Driver
If even your SD card is damaged, this is another solution. It may help you if you manage to reinstall the driver from the SD cardAs possibly the system cannot detect the SD card due to corrupted drivers.
So to fix the damaged sd card With this procedure, the steps are as follows:
- On the desktop, you right-click on the alternative that indicates “This PC” and choose the “Manage” option.
- Select on «Device Manager», which appears on the left side of the screen.
- Double click on the category «Disk Drives».
- Subsequently, you right-click on the name that indicates the removable drive.
- Click on the “Uninstall” option, and then click on “Accept”.
- Now if you can turn off the SD cardthen reboot your system.
- Plug in your SD card one more time, and the computer will read it.
Use CHKDSK to Repair SD Card
If the format method of your SD card is not what you want, here is what you can do to repair SD card. We will thoroughly detail the steps for this.
- In the first instance, connect the SD card to the system. After this, write down the drive letter of the SD card.
- Now you require to open the command prompt window. To do this, click on the Start menu and type the letters “cmd” in the established search bar.
- You click with the right mouse button on “cmd” and then choose the alternative of “Run as Administrator”.
- Now a new window will appear commandswhere you have to enter the following command – “chkdsk #: /f” (In the # symbol you indicate the drive letter of your SD card).
- Once done, hit the Enter key, and this will start scanning for possible errors and fixing your damaged SD card.
- If you see the message “Windows has made fixes in the file system”, then everything has come up fine and the damage is fixed.
This is the last method you can use to arrange damaged SD card. This also looks at the command prompt window. We suggest you follow the steps carefully, since the process has some specific commands. Here’s how to do it:
- One in connection with SD cardRight-click on the Start option.
- Choose “Command Prompt (Admin)” to use the command window.
- Type the word «diskpart» and hit the Enter key.
- Then, type “list disk” and hit the Enter key again. This will show you the linked storage devices on the screen.
- Continue with the process typing “select disk” and hit the Enter key.
- After this, type «clean» and hit the Enter key.
- Once this is done, type “create primary partition” and press Enter.
- Afterward, type “active” and then type “select partition 1”.
- For culminatetype “format fs=fat32” and hit the Enter key again.
- It waits for the process to be fully developed and closes when it is finished.
How to format a damaged memory
Finally, the other option that remains for us to be able to use an SD card is formatting it. This solution is intended for those who have already used all the previous methods and still cannot access its content.
It is known to be a hassle, because you lose all the data on the SD card, but it is the only way to continue using it without damage. If after formatting, the same error still happens to you, you have to buy a new one.
Follow these steps in detail:
- open the explorer Windows and you locate yourself with the mousse in the “this team” option.
- You right click on the SD card and select the “format” option.
- To finish, choose the system of records you want and hit “start”.
You have finished formatting your SD card.
What to do if I have errors when trying to restore the card
When the device memory becomes a RAW SD card, it is considered that your file system has changed for some reason, and now Windows does not want to recognize it.
The causes are quite varied, but generally they originate when you are formatting drive and format did not complete successfully. It is also possible that in these cases, the file system is completely damaged.
This error message is much more common than it seems, and you can get to fix it with any of the methods that we detailed previously, they serve satisfactorily to repair RAW SD cards. Although, if you use chkdsk, you will see the message “Chckdsk is not suitable for RAW disks” and you cannot fix the damaged RAW SD card. The solution is founded is to change the format.
How to save my photos and movies on damaged SD card
If you have tried to fix Windows SD card, but none of the above methods were successful, the damage to your card micro SD It may be more serious than you expected. In that case, you should focus on recovering the files. You can make use of a variety of apps to save data and photos from a damaged SD card that are well functional.
However, they are not 100% effective solutions, and there is not always the option of recovering files immediately by repairing card damaged microSD. In certain occasions, if your SD card does not apply to the above methods, you can try to recover deleted files from your Android mobile. You can also recover deleted photos on your cell phone, with the assistance of some apps.
Finally, if the problem continues and you cannot repair the microSD, nor can you solve the card SD-RAW In order to use it in Windows, you will have to make the decision to format your card. This should be the last method to consider, because after the process, all your data is automatically deleted.
Try to make backups in advance to the extent of your possibilities. More details in this link.
Now you know How to recover a damaged memory.
If you liked this article about the How to recover a damaged memory We recommend the following related articles:
Related articles that may interest you