If you came to this article from How to recover an excel filetake advantage of the information and solve this problem that has occurred to you after accidentally deleting the Excel files.
Here everything related to the self-recovery of an Excel file is shown, from the temporary folder, from a file overwritten with Excel insurance, with the Windows version history and much more. Do not leave it for later, because a similar situation may arise and then you will know how to act and resolve the required information safely and quickly.
How to recover unsaved excel file
In the vast majority of cases, Excel files contain invaluable information related to labor issues, important mathematical and statistical data when analyzing studies or personal accounts.
In the event that an accident occurs and you end up losing the information contained in the Excel files, you must take into account that there are options to find the solution to this type of situation.
Excel file recovery program
There are a variety of recovery programs for unsaved, deleted or damaged Excel files. Some of these programs are free versions and others are paid. For example, the EsaseUS program allows you to restore any Excel document totally free, however, it also has a more complete paid version. The steps to follow are as follows to implement the recovery of Excel files:
- must do the program download and perform the installation on the hard drive.
- Then you need to run the software and choose the location where the lost document was saved.
- The first scan is done by the program in a simple, deep and automatic way.
- When you have all the information, you must put the extension of the Excel file (xls or xlsx)
- Finally, select the files you want to restore and check the box that says “restore”.
Once you have all the options to get back deleted excel files at hand, you will have peace of mind knowing that your work is not lost.
If the file is saved to OneDrive, the autosave option in Excel is enabled, so any changes are saved immediately and sent to the Microsoft cloud. In this particular case, the possibility of not giving the save does not occur, the only possibility of closing incorrectly is due to the possible error of the Excel program itself or other reasons such as a power failure.
In these exceptional cases or in cases of software or hardware problems, you must press the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, a screen is displayed from where you can go to the Windows Task Manager.
Turn to Microsoft Office AutoRecovery
The author recovery alternative makes it easy for users to get back files that have been deleted or lost. It is a very useful option and keeping it active is convenient to enjoy in case of need. Note that the recovery mode depends on the time the file was saved.
To activate the auto recovery of Excel in the office version of 2007 and 2010, you must follow these steps:
- enter a Excel sheet.
- You must click on the Excel tab and then go to
- Then, in the Save section, you must make sure that you have the option activated. save box self recovery information.
- In the box Minutes, type the number of minutes to take between each save. The default value is 10 minutes, which can be changed to a value in the range of 1 to 120.
- Once, in the auto recovery file location put the path as the name of the folder where the files will be saved of self-recovery.
There is a default location to store this type of files, if you want to change it you must be careful with the location you assign. If you make a mistake and write a location that does not exist, because an error message appears.
Once you have auto-recover turned on, you can access the documents you thought were lost or maybe you didn’t save at the time. To recover an unsaved file in Excel do the following:
- You need to go to File / Information / Manage Documents.
- Then you must click on Recover unsaved books in Excel.
- Select the file you need and you must click on
- Then, in the bar located at the top of the file, you must click on Save asand save the file.
In this way you can have the lost documents back to be modified or work with them. Also, these versions of Office 365 have the autosave functionality and with it they save automatically.
To have excel autorecover files enter Finder and you need to go to the folder and put the path to the Excel folder. You can do it in the following way:
Restore unsaved excel file from temp folder
Microsoft office has created a temporary file folder in Windows system and in case you accidentally delete an unsaved Excel file, you can recover the unsaved file from this temporary folder. Follow the steps that are as follows:
- Browse to the location of the temporary file folder on your computer and locate the unsaved Excel file.
- For Windows 7 users you should follow this path: C:UsersOwnerAppDataRoamingMicrosoftExcel
- For Eindowa 8 / 10 users: C:UsersAppDataLocalMicrosoftOfficeUnsavedFiles
- Then move on to check and select the unsaved Excel file and copy it to the Windows Desktop of the computer, then save as a new file.
Recover an overwritten Excel file with Excel Insurance
Recovering an overwritten deleted Excel file with file recovery software. This option of using super data recovery software to recover lost Excel documents is great.
Also, you can try with EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard to scan the computer and find the unsaved, lost, deleted or overwritten Excel files.
Recover Excel file overwritten from previous version
The steps are the following:
- Must create a new excel file with the same name as the lost Excel file.
- Must right click on the excel file and select
- Later, go to previous versionsfind and select the latest version before overwriting the Excel file, then you must press
- So, you will have the Excel file restored from the previous version.
Recover an Excel file overwritten with Windows version history
Recover an overwritten Excel file with a previous version of the file, when the file has not been overwritten. That is, there is a possibility to go back to return it to the previous version. This is a solution that helps those who made a backup, but if you have not done so, it will not work, and you must do the following:
- Must go to the folder where the file is and right click on it.
- Then it should tell you to restore previous versions.
- A window opens where you can see the file history or restore points.
- It shows you a message saying “the file has been restored to the previous version successfully”.
- If you do not have the copy activated, you cannot restore any previous version.
After reading How to Recover an Excel file, we hope it has been of great help to you, so now, we encourage you to share the information.
If you liked this article about the How to recover an excel file We recommend the following related articles:
Related articles that may interest you