You have no idea how common the question is How to recover files from a flash drive? Quite often files on a storage device are deleted, on purpose or by mistake, and the owner finds out soon after that they want them back and have no idea what they can do to get it.
We will answer this question! We will indicate all the alternatives available to you to recover the files from your flash drive, how you can do it using software, using a USB memory, we will give you a file recovery guide in three steps and, finally, we will tell you what the scenarios are that cause data loss and how you can prevent this from happening. Keep reading!
How to recover files from a flash drive
Let’s start by answering right off the bat the main question of this article: How to recover files from a flash drive? The truth is that there are multiple ways that you can use to try to recover the files contained in a flash drive. We will tell you what they are, so that you can choose the one that best suits you.
Follow the instructions that we will give you and you should not have any problem when recovering your data. Let’s see!
The flash drive is empty
In the first place, there can be a situation where you connect your flash drive to a computer and find that there is nothing! The USB appears empty and no documents are visible. This can be fixed – or at least attempted to be fixed – as follows:
- First of all, it verifies that you do not have any virus that has corrupted the memory. This you do antivirus software; yes, this must be paid because the free ones are mostly useless. This will alert you if your flash drive has a virus and you can clean it.
- If the files still do not appear, then you will have to go to Windows Explorer, click View > Show or hide and check that the hidden files box is checked. If you don’t get the View option, click Organize > Folder and search options > View.
- Then go to Windows Start and Search schedule and files write Command Prompt or cmd. A box will appear to write, where you will have to put attrib -h -r -s /s /de:*.* This «e» that appears at the end must be replaced by the letter corresponding to the drive where your flash drive is located.
- Beam Enter.
- Once the process is finished, go back to the Windows Explorer and see if there is a new folder with no name. The files you are looking for should be there.
If you do not have results, you will have to use one of the other ways available to recover files.
Second, you can try bringing back an older version of the flash drive. A version prior to the disappearance or deletion of the file you are looking for. In this sense, what you should do is what we will tell you below:
- Connect the pendrive to your computer and click on the drive where your pendrive is located.
- Next, right-click on the folder where the lost file was located.
- Next, press the option Properties, Enter the Previous Versions section and then click on File History (also called Restore Points or similar).
- Select the version to choose. Select the one that is relevant to be able to recover the file you were looking for.
This older version tool is not automatically installed, but you have to activate it. If you do not get any version, it is probably because you do not have this tool active. To activate it and protect yourself in the future, click How can older versions be used? So you know how to activate the function.
How to recover files from a flash drive: Data recovery from USB Memory
Refering to Data recovery from USB memorycan be done by following these steps:
- Install specialized file recovery software, such as EaseUS and Ontrack.
- Connect the USB to the computer, launch the chosen software and select the drive where the USB is located (Removable Disk, usually).
- Starts the search for the files contained in the USB.
- When the process is finished, see if the one you are looking for is in the list of found files and recover them.
That is all! In the next section we will give you the keys so you know how to do it with EaseUS.
Guide for Flash Drive File Recovery in 3 Steps
Another option available to you is the Guide to Recover Files from Flash Drive in 3 Steps that we will give you next, which you can use precisely to have back those files that you want. It is done with the software EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, which you can download directly from its website, both for PC and MAC. Let’s see!
- First of all, you have to install EaseUS. Once on your computer, then you can connect your pendrive to the device, from the USB port, and then click on it when the program detects it (you can find it as an external drive).
- This software will then perform a scan all data contained in the pendrive, from those that are at first sight to those that are in deep routes. The time this scan takes will depend exclusively on the storage capacity of your flash drive.
- Finally, a list of all the files found will appear. You will find the folder of deleted files, lost files and others in which you must click and see if you get the file you are looking for. You can select the entire folder if you wish. When you’re done, click Retrievesave the files to a different location than the original so they won’t be overwritten.
This software allows you to extract the files you want, whether from the Handy Drive, the USB drive, the Key Drive, the endrives, the Jump Drive, the Jet Flash Drive, among others. You can recover photos, videos, documents and many other things.
Scenarios causing data loss from memory drive
With respect to Scenarios that cause Data Loss, we will tell you the reasons why your data was deleted, if you did not do it on purpose. There are several and we believe that you should know them in order to understand the security measures that we will present in the next section. Here are the causing scenarios:
- Corruption: It may happen that the storage device has been corrupted. If the file system of the drive just gets damaged for no apparent reason, it can happen that the drive is corrupted. In this case it will not be possible for you to access the data that is in the file system, so it will be lost.
- human error: you have to admit it, it can also happen that you have deleted it by mistake. Perhaps you tried to delete one and ended up mistakenly deleting another one that you wanted to keep. Obviously, this will cause you to lose the data you previously had. The same can happen if you accidentally format the flash drive.
- Improper ejection: On the other hand, it may happen that you abruptly extract the pendrive, which can cause the flash memory to be damaged and you will not be able to access the files contained in it. Even more so if you were transferring files or something similar.
- Of course there is also other reasons. It may happen that your data is lost if there is a format error, malware threat, transfer error or power failure.
Keep this in mind and you’ll be ready to learn the precautions you can take to prevent this from happening.
Security measures to prevent data loss
Finally, let’s talk about the Security measures to prevent data loss. The truth is that there are people who never have problems with their flash drive and do not suffer from file or data loss. To be one of these people or to become one of these people, you simply have to do the following:
- When you are going to delete a file from the hard drive, check that you are selecting the one you want delete and no other. As we told you before, you may inadvertently delete the wrong file.
- have copies of the files that you have on your USB on another storage device or on other devices and period. In this way, you will always have a backup of these documents and you will be able to get them in one place or another. It is very difficult for you to lose them in both destinations.
- Equally avoid extracting suddenly and/or abruptly the USB memory of the device to which you have it connected, be it your laptop or your PC, for the reasons we highlighted above. Use the Safely Removal Hardware option.
- Finally, never connect your USB device or flash drive to a computer that is infected with viruses. Pen drives are usually carriers of viruses themselves, so avoid getting malware that can affect it and other devices.
So we finish explaining How to recover files from a flash drive. We hope we have been of help to you in what you were looking for, especially since now you know what options you have to recover the files you want, as well as why this happens and how you can avoid it.
Until next time!
If you liked this article about the How to recover files from a flash drive We recommend the following related articles:
Related articles that may interest you