The Windows 10 is the main operating system that was created by Microsoft that is part of the family of different operating systems. It was released in 2014, but the following year it was released to the general public.
Today we are going to explain everything related to How to recover Windows 10 password in case you can’t log in.
It is normal that you forget the password or you have not written it down, but do not worry because we will explain it to you so that you can solve the problem. We recommend that you continue reading so that you can take note of the topic.
How to recover Windows 10 password
The first thing you have to do is that if you see that you cannot log in, you must click on the login options that you have in the Windows 10 start screen. Then it will show you two ways you can do it, the first with a pin and the second with a password.
If with none you remember your Microsoft account. Then you must click on the button «I forgot the password» that appears right in the field that you must write it. In that case you will start a special process to recover your password:
How to recover Windows 10 password: Steps
- First to recover your key, you have to confirm which Microsoft account you want to recover it for.
- For them you must place your email from your Microsoft account that you have used in Windows 10 and below write the characters that you will see on the screen so that you are a real person and not a machine.
- When you have completed the characters you will click continue.
- In the second phase you will go through the identity verification part, either using a login application or through secondary email of your Microsoft account where you will send a password.
- The easiest way is the second and write the address of a secondary email that you have configured.
- When you have written it you will give the submit code button
- The security code will be sent to you immediately in your secondary email. You should use this to verify your identity on their computer.
- Next you have to write the code that has reached you by mail into the corresponding box on the computer screen.
- Then you have to type a new password for your Microsoft account. You will not only use this to log in to Windows, but also to access your email or any services that Microsoft has.
- The password must be completely new and you cannot have used it before on other Microsoft accounts.
- Once the password is entered, the system will show you that the process was successful.
- It is recommended to restart your computer and return to the home screen so you can type your new password. This way you will log in without any problems.
Windows 10, versions 1803 and later
In the event that you have added security questions to your account in the settings, according to a version of Windows, you can answer the questions and have the opportunity to log in again.
In the event that you later enter an incorrect password, you must perform the following steps:
- You will need to select the Reset Password link on the login screen.
- In the event that you use the PIN, you should go to the “PIN login issues“. If you’re using a work device that’s on a certain network, you may not see an option to reset your password or, in that case, your PIN. In these types of cases you should contact an administrator.
- Then you must answer security questions correctly.
- You will have to enter a completely new password in the corresponding box.
- Lastly, you must log in to the normal way with your new password.
Windows 10, before version 1803
For this type of version, you should note that they cannot reset passwords for local accounts because there is no security question. But you can reset the device to choose a new password, however doing it this way will permanently delete all your data, programs and settings.
In case you have made a backup copy of the files, you can only restore the deleted files. To obtain more information you must enter the different recovery options available windows 10
In the event that you want to reset the device, as mentioned, your data, programs and settings will be erased. In that case you should do the following:
- First you must press the Shift key at the same time choose the power button > reboot at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Then on the screen you must choose an option and choose to select the solution of the problem > reset this PC.
- Finally, you will see the option to remove everything.
How to reset and remove forgotten Windows 10 password without formatting
Windows 10 uses the password mechanism to improve security for system access by preventing other users from accessing the computer without permission and making changes that may affect behavior. But today Windows 10 passwords are essential to enter emails, networks, other platforms that require it, they need our permission, so it is possible that you forget the password.
At the moment of not being able to enter Windows you can have many problems since you will not have the same work that you do every day. Therefore, to reset your Windows password you will have to use Rufus to build the boot media with Hirens Boot PE.
Rufus which is a small application where it is possible to safely create a boot medium as it is on USB drives. Instead Hiren Boot PE is an ISO image, based on Windows 10.
For this you must perform the following steps:
How to recover Windows 10 password: Steps
- when you have downloaded Rufus this will be executed.
- The USB connected to the equipment will be automatically detected in the field of «device» and then you will click on «select” and it will direct you to a path where you have downloaded.
- You will click on open and then you will define according to the «request scheme» field you will assign MBR, then in the «system or destination» you will select BIOS or (UEFI-CSM).
- You can add a tag name, but it’s not necessary. Therefore, you will click on “start” and a warning will appear.
- Next, you will accept it to start the process of creating the bootable USB medium with Hirens Boot PE.
- Now you will access the BIOS of the computer where you cannot log in and there you will give the Boot tab, then you will select the option “Removable Devices”.
- Then reset the Windows 10 password with Hirens Boot PE. This is done in order for the computer to boot from the USB you created with the Rufus application.
- Then you will have to restart your computer.
- The system will start with the environment Hirens Boot PE which looks a bit like Windows.
- Then you will click on the “Utilities” folder and then on security
- You will have to open the folder that says “Passwords”. Then you will run the utility “NT PasswordEdit”.
- In the upper path are all the users who are registered in Windows 10 and you will click on the open button.
- You will select the affected user and click on “Change Password” and then you set the new one you want to use.
- After performing these steps you will click on «Shutdown» to shut down your computer and it will reboot to the original version.
- You will now be able to enter Windows 10 after recovering your password.
Reset password in Windows 8.1
In case you have forgotten your Windows 8.1 password, you should keep in mind that there are several way to recover or restore it and are as follows:
- If your computer is on a domain, the domain administrator The system will need to reset the password.
- If you use a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online.
- If you are using a local account, use the password hint as a reminder.
- In the event that you are still unable to log in, You must reinstall Windows. For Windows RT 8.1 you will need to contact your PC manufacturer.
Reset password in Windows 7
It has happened that when entering our computers, we do not remember the password or we think we changed it. If you find yourself in this situation and you have Windows 7, there are several methods to recover it, one of them is the following:
Entering the administrator account
It is the fastest method, in the event that you have several accounts on your computer and you have forgotten the Windows 7 password to reset it, you only have to access the Windows administrator account and do it in this way:
- Place from your keyboard “compmgmt.msc” and you will click enter.
- Then you must go to the Local Users and Groups > Users.
- Then you will right click on the user who has lost the password and click on the «set password» button.
- Type your password again. Windows and change it.
- It is important that you know that this method works if you have other accounts.
To conclude, it is extremely important that before establishing a password it is advisable to write it down in a place that you remember, such as in an agenda or in the notes of your cell phone, so you will avoid carrying out this type of procedure. We hope that everything related to How to recover Windows 10 password has worked for you.
If you liked this article about the How to recover windows 10 password We recommend the following related articles:
Related articles that may interest you